Aptasia and other scum

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by quispiam, 26 Dec 2012.

1. quispiam

quispiam

I have a relatively huge system (2500lt) and since getting Nemo's to drain my display tank to find the crabs eating my livestock, I have a 'successful farm' of Aptasia and other scum that I just cannot get rid of. I have tried the Joes Juice with limited success.
    I have added the two photos taken as I do not know what this weed is, but like the aptasia, it grows wild and takes over everything. What is this and how do I rid my DT of it??????

DSC_8864.jpg

DSC_8863.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You can try Peppermint Shrimps for the Aiptasia...these are a few and will obviously depend on what other Livestock you have...
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+2857+701&pcatid=701

Copperband Butterfly:
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+212&pcatid=212

even maybe..Aiptasia Eating FileFish:
    http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/79-fish-profile

Then there is this Nudi...(they ONLY eat Aiptasia...if there is none left...then they die...
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=36725

4. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

Oo this might sound weird but can I have some of them please. Not the aptasia only some of what looks like majano.

5. crispin

crispin

the other pest you have there is marjano, very similar to aptasia and can just take over a system like yours have. both are difficult to get rid of.

i personally find that kalkwasser or aptasia x direct injected into each aptasia has been the best way for me to keep things under controll, but ive never had a problem on the magnitude you have.

for aptasia like you have Id look at getting some Bergia nudi's (last option in the post from belinda) as they are the most effective of the predatory controlls known.

are there any pieces of LR with heavey infestation and few corals? those you can take out and kill everything on the rock, then recure it with new bacteria and cycle it in drums for a few months andthen reitroduce into the system, but thats a tough long road to walk.

majano die relativley well with direct injection.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2012
  6. sihaya

sihaya

I could tell you what I did to solve my aptasia problem, but it's a bit drastic...

I used Sodium Hydroxide to "burn" them all down. Then I scrapped off the remnants and siphoned all that junk out. Then I waited a day or two and did all that again. Then I bought a school of peppermint shrimp to keep them from coming back. It worked... but honestly, I'm surprised there weren't any collateral casualties.

WARNING: Sodium Hydroxide will BURN YOU if you touch it. (See the movie Fight Club.)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use vinegar with a insulin syringe. But you can only do 1ml per 100L of your total system volume per day.

Just inject them slowly and watch them dissolve....

Recent Posts