APK

Discussion in 'New Members' started by APK, 12 Dec 2011.

1. APK

APK

Hi everyone
    i grew up with tropical fish - from guppies to oscars. Due to a move i did not carry on but started with koi in a 10 000 l pond until a month or so ago - uv light and pumps packed up , cats , kingfishers and hammerheads moved me to give up. I have always been interested in marine fish keeping and two weeks ago bought a boyu system - i intentionally started off with something smaller as i did not want to get into something bigger only to find that it was a lot of work - the koi pond had a 220 l filter so i think i can manage this one - i can always move up to bigger tanks. I am 52 and have a 2 year and 9 month old son --------- and a wife -just to give you a idea of what i still am wiiling to cope with.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...many will say the bigger the Tank...the easier...I do agree.. to a degree...I got a small Boyu TL-450 and love it...not so much the Make...but the size...now a tank is more forgiving when it's a larger volume Tank, than a small Tank..evaporation, Salinity blah blah..that can change so quickly on a small Tank, but a person can be "relatively safe" with a larger Tank...but, if you are like me...then it makes no difference the size of the Tank...whether mine is 58L or 580L...I still freak out everyday and monitor my Tank like a addict...:biggrin:

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome :)

6. APK

APK Thread Starter

I am very new to this but end to agree with you - I bought the boyu system but forgot the size as i had to remove it from the box to get it into my car - it hols approx 120 L - is this the same size as yours - i still have to stock it - have had it for 2 weeks - hope to get some fish this weekend

7. belindamotion

I have the smaller one...mine is 58L...TL-450...you either have the TL-550 or one of the newer BOYU Makes...if you had it for 2weeks, then I gather it is still "cycling"..? If that is the case, then it's not cycled yet...unless you are dosing Bacteria...? Or are you planning something like "Start-up"..I think that is what it's called...I'm clueless as I did my Tank naturally..

8. APK

APK Thread Starter

sheesh - you think you are clueless - i am up in Limpopo and my local petshop idea of exotic fish is Guppies - I looked it up on the net - the 550 is the one - I have a couple of kg's of live rock and coral ( dead i think ) water only RO - going to Jhb this weekend - any suggestions as to what fish ect

9. belindamotion

I'm afraid you won't be putting anything in you'r Tank...:p...you need to cycle with Saltwater, not RO water....RO water is used to mix Salt with, as all harmful chemicals are removed...tap water still contains harmfull chemicals...so that is a no-no...in regards to that, you are correct in using RO water...in Marine Tanks we use RO water....but unfortunately you'r 2weeks running Tank is in vain...you will have to do it over, using Saltwater...you buy the "Marine Salt" and mix with RO till Salinity of 1.025 at a Temp of 26 degrees...you will definately need a refractometer and NOT a Hydrometer...wow...please read some of those Links I gave you...

10. belindamotion

11. FransSny

FransSny

Well said to the lady with the funny avatar....ja jy met die pienk daar agter in die 2 de laaste ry ;)

12. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

:thumbup:

LFS = Local Fish Shop

Not every LFS has got live fish, some have half dead ones too.;)

13. seank

seank

14. belindamotion

:confused1:..OH WOW...now you got me... VERY nosey...:eek:..

:lol::lol::lol:..been a year here and I still didn't know the proper Lingo...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

15. APK

APK Thread Starter

Sorry - I failed to mention that i did put the salt as indicated in - the guy at the shop said i only needed a hydrometer - salinity is ok according to the hydrometer - what is the problem with the hydrometer ?

16. belindamotion

Last edited: 13 Dec 2011
Recent Posts