anything wrong with this sump design?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Johan van Aardt, 13 Jan 2010.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

[​IMG]

from back left to right bottem is inlet and skimmer, two is dsb and chaeto and last is return and auto topup.

the chamberin the far back is ro water chamber.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Nice design, you pretty much got it covered :)

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Nothing wrong with that design! Build it will ya ;)

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Looks good. What are the dim's and for what size tank?

6. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

The sump is twice the size of the tank. Its 850mm long 650mm wide and 500 mm high.

the tank its for is 500 high, 400 wide and 500 long

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Johan as a heads up measure the skimmer compartment length to fit your skimmer and then the return pump length that will accommodate the return pump and volume of water for head height, what size do you have left for your DSB? Will your calculations work out?

8. lIghty

lIghty

I would perhaps just lower the pane for the RO, so if the sump wants to overflow for some reason, it would first flood into the RO chamber before flooding over the sump and onto the floor... just a thought? otherwise like Nemos said, check sizes....

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

look at this one

[​IMG]
    from right agitation chamber, algae filter (media on angled glass, heater and skimmer chamber(hang on), bubble eliminating divider,two parallel dsbs, bubble eliminating divider, return chamber to hold phos reactor (hang on)and carbon reactor(hang on) and return pump. ro top up nexto return chamber

10. Johan van Aardt

The skimmer chamber is 25 cm so enough for a ts2. The return chamber is 10 cm wich should be enough for a return. Ill measure a return pump and maybe change that too 15 cm

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Good. Now the length of the DSB section is shorter than the width. Lets now consider the flow rate over the DSB and how this shorter length/wider width will effect the DSB. IMO the narrower the DSB the faster the water flow over the DSB the better the DO. But you do not want to lose DSB volume and flow is important. You might want to look at other options/designs considering what i have pointed out or opt for an external skimmer. It saves valuable DSB area. Weigh up the pros and cons and go for what you feel happy with. At least you have thought it through.:thumbup:

12. Johan van Aardt

ok so in a weeks time i should have my stand. im going to fit the biggest sump i can in there and desighn it accordingly. the idee is having a big sand bed and chaeto to be a main filtration, and then the skimmer for if anything goes horribly wrong.

we are building on our home and the place were my sump is bolted to the wall is now going to be broken down, hence the desition to just put everything in a cabinet and the tank n a stand.

the tank has been running for about 4 months now and the current dsb as well. if i were to change the remove the old sump and totally replace it with this one, what would be the best option to use?

my idee is using play sand this time for the dsb, taking a few cups of my current dsb and throwing it on the new dsb adding chaeto and skimmer and connecting my tank up all in one day, because in like three weeks the wall has to be broken down so im a bit pushed for time.

my bio load in the tank is minimal, i have a bi colour blennie and a hermit crab, as well as a mushroom xenia and zoa's.

any advice apreciated.

johan

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Baffles to prevent bubbles are not needed when you got a DSB. Just a waste of space.
    Think about it, water goes OVER a glass plate, so the bubbles are in the top part of the water anyway. Then it travel across the DSB, past a cheato ball if you have one, relatively slow, over next glass plate that should be just shorter or equal in height to first plate. If a bubble do reach the other side, then your DSB is too short and small and a wasted effort. Or the flow is really too fast.

14. neo

neo

My sump looks exactly like that and worked gr8 during testing, only thing I added after testing was a brace for the ro reservior back pane because it was showing a slight bowing when filled with water (50 litres in my case), one other thing I did (some say it doesnt work) is to angle the pane between the dsb and return so water can 'run' down to the lower level in the return part and not 'fall' - to keep forming of new bubbles.

Ok so I also made my sump to fit completely into my stand, I should have kept some space for storing bits-and-pieces cause now i must store any loose stuff like food etc. somewhere else. not a big issue but still...

almost forgot, i have split my dsb in two, so i can change the sand in one part after 2 years and still have half of the old dsb, i only did this split for the sand height, thus the middle pane splitting the sand is only half the height of the total dsb height (hope it makes sense)

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

You are on the right track. :thumbup:

16. Johan van Aardt

Ok its good to know that im on the right track. So in a week or two my tank becomes a total new thing. I cant wait for it as ive desighned the stand to have a cabinet on the side of the tank. Will post pics later. Right now im toooooooo lazy

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Johan. Your sump sizing and design is more than ample for the size tank uou mentioned. The dsb should be maximized, preferably. The bigger the dsb the better.
    What size return pump are you thinking of using?

The design ifself is great otherwise.....

18. Johan van Aardt

I was thinking a 2000lph not sure on this tho

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I will go with that because the head height will reduce that flow. Just check that the overflow can handle the flow at the head height output. I assume it will be in the region of about 1100lph depending on pump make.

Recent Posts