Anyone tried this mod?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Charl_Stanhope, 8 Feb 2013.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Stumbled across this video on youtube. Has anyone tried this mod on the
    tunze pumps

Dont understand how cutting the plastic thing around the impellor creates so much xtra flow.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Vortechs also have a similar "theory." Personally I am sceptical in changing anything that comes as standard, if tunze wanted the cover to be off so that the pup would perform better, they would have left it off. Maybe @George, @Anita, @leslie hempel or @butcherman could give their views?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

I agree. But on the other and,if you remove the cover of a seio pump, you get better performance and there are some other mods out there,not necessarily on flow pumps, but on skimmers etc and sometimes its an easy mod and it adds a lot of performance.

But it can be an expensive mod if it does not work. Wouldve tried it on a cheaper flow pump. If only I can remove the plastic part so Ill be able to stick it back onto the cover if it does not work:whistling:

Last edited: 8 Feb 2013
  5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

i removed my cover on my vortech pump, the flow was much stronger, but not as focussed, seemed messier, if that makes sense, so I just put the cover back on.

6. Charl_Stanhope

You will probably find that you have a lot more flow but the flow wont be random but more of a direct stream.If that makes sense.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have seen similar mods on tunze and sunsun pumps, but rather than removing the middle tube/cowling. The mod is done by removing every second rib on the gaurd. effectiveky increasing the space between the ribs
    This would allow more flow through the pump, similar to removing the cover.

I have never tried this, i have never had the need to.

But i know this would void your waranty :p

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

like this

Disclaimer :p - i do not think its a good idea

9. Andreas

Andreas

I did this mod and have never looked back. Pumps hardly ever clog up and the flow is much more consistent over time. Tunze pumps have run non stop like this for probably 2 years now:p

10. Andreas

Andreas

Eish - I'm sure that Seio pump was close to burning out. Don't think that have any "built-in" sensors to stop operating when the time calls for it. BTW - Made a similar mod to my Seios by removing every second baffle and they have also been running fine for years on end:whistling:

Last edited: 8 Feb 2013
  11. crispin

crispin

ive done that to my tunze's and the flow is far better, one of the easiest and best mods to do. I have seen guys use a dremell to cut the ribs (alternate) out and it was realy easy to do.

12. Charl_Stanhope

May be a better mod than the one in the video. I do find it annoying having to clean my powerheads. But Im just being lazy. But if this can keep the powerhead having more consistant flow for longer without cleaning the pumps, it sounds like a good idea cutting every second "rib" on the gaurd.

13. Charl_Stanhope

are you talking about removing the ribs or the mod in the video @crispin

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. crispin

crispin

sorry I cant actually view that vid, im refering to removing every second rib in the housing.

15. Andreas

Andreas

I agree. Not sure what the change will be like if you remove the inner pipe as per the clip...rather go the route of removing some of the ribs. You can always buy the outer cover again if you decide to sell the pump without the mod, but I personally wouldn't even worry about that:)

16. Anita

Anita Sponsor

We have sent this to Germany to see what they think, I don't think they will enjoy the 'hack job' done on the pump........cheers Anita

17. Charl_Stanhope

Would be interesting to hear their opinion and Im sure they wont enjoy the mod. But if the hack job makes the Tunze pump a little better, its another happier Tunze user.

By starting this thread im not saying that I am not happy with the Tunze pumps. Ill never use another pump as Ive been using this non stop for a couple of years and they still look brand new. I just stumbled across this clip while browsing youtube and it looked interesting and a little extra flow would come in handy.:p

18. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Hi Charl, I am so glad you are happy with the TUNZE pumps, the question is the guarantee after modification, let's see what Germany says.....cheers Anita:whistling:

19. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Hi All, TUNZE answer to modifications:-

Hello Anita,

thanks for the mail.
    I know this video, but with this modification, the pump have problems to start!!! The actually pump can start from 180 to 250V, here this is not possible.

Example: when you put away the air filter of your car, you increase the velocity of 10 / 15km/h... It's the same...

best regards, Claude.

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Me too, I modded a 6025 and a 6045 like the video, I also removed every second rib from both the front and back covers, pumps are still running sweet as anything. But it will void your warranty on the pumps, I bought mine second hand so I didn't feel too bad about cutting them up. :)

21. Charl_Stanhope

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this thread.

Definitelty keen on trying the mod by removing some ribs. just need a little extra flow and think this might be the answer.

Recent Posts