Anyone here set up a refugium in their nano??

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Matt, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Read on this awesome thread that the owner built a refugium to help with biological filtration. Has anyone else here done anything like this?

Lets see your setups ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

don't have a nano, but an interesting question, I surpose it would take up critical space?

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have a DSB nad LR for the biological filtration, to add a refugium would take a lot space unless I needed it for breeding.

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

i have a tiny refugium,algae scrubber thingy that i have nexto my tank i will take a photo or two and post it for you

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A refugium's task is more to give the tiny macro critters a "refuge" away from fish and other creatures that feed on them. To give the pods/worms a chance to breed - which in turn feeds the corals, fish, etc....

Most people do not have this seperately, but include a refugium in their sump as part of the DSB - as only a refugium require macro algae to support the breeding of pods - this also happens in DSB's - therefor it's a logical option to combine the two.

With Nano tanks it's slightly more difficult - as no sump = no DSB = no refugium - therefor adding a small hang-on refugium makes sense....

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Thanks, so with my macro algae, my sump will breed loads of critters :thumbup:

8. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Yes, I added a small piece of Chaeto to my sump a few weeks ago, and yesterday when I shone the torch in there it was crawling with critters. So, a sump with some living space counts as a refugium.

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

pics of my refugium, algae filter thing

[​IMG] side pic, powered by tiny powerhead in tank
    [​IMG]top view, note it is slightly taller than tank and gravity feeds back into tank,

this contraption is made from perspex offcuts from maizeys that were for free. it is divided in the middle but allows flow through bottom. I placed ceramics in bottom to prevent flow through of my algae, in the right hand chamber i have carbon and filter wool

10. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

I was also thinking about having somthing like this for my (to be) seahorse tank, for more live food for them - the critters doesn't need to go through an impeller to get to the tank this way. I'll think about it a bit more, and see if it can fit somehow.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

vertical refugium, algae scrubber thing

made from perspex from maizeys, fed by small powerhead andself draining back into tank, first chamber algae and ceramics at bottom to retain algae, second chamber charcoal and filterwool[​IMG][​IMG]

12. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

yeah I have a refugium in my nano. It houses the two Boyu wavers so you dont see them in the display area.

Recent Posts