Anyone here set up a refugium in their nano??

Reaction score
Read on this awesome thread that the owner built a refugium to help with biological filtration. Has anyone else here done anything like this?

Lets see your setups ;)

I have a DSB nad LR for the biological filtration, to add a refugium would take a lot space unless I needed it for breeding.

i have a tiny refugium,algae scrubber thingy that i have nexto my tank i will take a photo or two and post it for you

A refugium's task is more to give the tiny macro critters a "refuge" away from fish and other creatures that feed on them. To give the pods/worms a chance to breed - which in turn feeds the corals, fish, etc....

Most people do not have this seperately, but include a refugium in their sump as part of the DSB - as only a refugium require macro algae to support the breeding of pods - this also happens in DSB's - therefor it's a logical option to combine the two.

With Nano tanks it's slightly more difficult - as no sump = no DSB = no refugium - therefor adding a small hang-on refugium makes sense....

Thanks, so with my macro algae, my sump will breed loads of critters :thumbup:

Yes, I added a small piece of Chaeto to my sump a few weeks ago, and yesterday when I shone the torch in there it was crawling with critters. So, a sump with some living space counts as a refugium.

pics of my refugium, algae filter thing

aqpics090108052.jpg
side pic, powered by tiny powerhead in tank
aqpics090108053.jpg
top view, note it is slightly taller than tank and gravity feeds back into tank,

this contraption is made from perspex offcuts from maizeys that were for free. it is divided in the middle but allows flow through bottom. I placed ceramics in bottom to prevent flow through of my algae, in the right hand chamber i have carbon and filter wool

I was also thinking about having somthing like this for my (to be) seahorse tank, for more live food for them - the critters doesn't need to go through an impeller to get to the tank this way. I'll think about it a bit more, and see if it can fit somehow.

vertical refugium, algae scrubber thing

made from perspex from maizeys, fed by small powerhead andself draining back into tank, first chamber algae and ceramics at bottom to retain algae, second chamber charcoal and filterwool
aqpics090108053.jpg
aqpics090108052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom