Anyone else get tennis elbow from doing water changes and top offs?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dlaria, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

Anyone else get tennis elbow from doing water changes and top offs?

Apparently, 3 gallon jugs are too big for me to lift up over my shoulder on a daily basis...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use a 6m pipe for water changes. Excessive I know, but:
    I do not suck water into my mouth... :thumbup:

I hook one side onto the display. And suck a bit. Enough time to put the other end into a drum before the water gets there. Next drum, easy, use your thumb and stop the flow temporary.

Top up, easy, Do not empty the pipe, leave the water in it. Just break the siphon at the display side. Put new drum on top of empty drum, or on a chair, move the outlet from waste drum to new drum. Move the inlet that was on the display to the sump. And the water goes in reverse.

Another advantage of a longer pipe is that its easy to restart the flow. Just lift the end higher than the inlet, let the water inside push out the air at the beginning. And drop the outlet part. The flow will go.

Only trick is to remember to switch the return pump off while you remove water. And turn it back on as you start to refill. And switch your ATU off for the full process.

No more lifting 20 to 30kg above your head. No splashes on the lights. No spilling over the tank rim. Easy.

LCornelius likes this.
  4. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Thanks! You gave me some ideas. It's in the living room, and I don't have a big drum, but a small pump will fit in the jugs. (I use large plastic old kitty litter jugs to shlep my water from the LFS.) I could just drop a small pump in each one, with the tube hung/going in the tank. Then just plug it in! :)

Last edited: 15 Sep 2011
Recent Posts