Anybody keeping Mirolabrichthys Dispar (anthias)?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Adee, 1 Jul 2011.

1. Adee

Adee

The Dispar Anthias is commonly known as the Madder Seaperch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone kept these, in terms of level of care are they the same for the common goldies which I currently already have a small shoal.

I want to get me a small shoal of these.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hermanus

Hermanus

Hi @Adee did you get more info?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Ayoob

Ayoob

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

stunning goldies, i see they are frequently available now but level of care is still deemed to be high with regular feedings.. i am keen on a few when they next come in aswell..

6. Hermanus

Hermanus

What do you feed them?

7. JAJA

JAJA

I have 8 of them. Similar in care level as the goldies. No problems with eating. I feed them Ocean Nutrition Mysis and Super Shrimp.

8. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

shew, quiet an old thread. Anyways I did buy a small shoal of about 10 if i recall. I think i have about 6 left.

Here is the problem....I have exisitng shoal of the common goldies and a shoal of red cheek anthias....both types are more bold, with the dispar one tending to wait in line when its feeding time.

What happens over time is that the slowest feeder will eventually slowly starve away, as the other anthias (not to mention Chromis) out compete. If u starting out with anthias I suggest u keep is a mono species and not mix. Otherwise YOU need to find a way to feed the anthias 6 times a day, where u can ensure there is enough food to also feed the slowest feeder...otherwise over time their numbers will dwindle. For some reason as well they tend to be week tank additions when it comes to acclimatizing to the LFS or home reefs, try and hand pick healthy ones ...and like all anthia types....a number of 10 or more makes it look more natural in your home reef.

9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

In the wild P. dispar I've seen, they've always been far from other Pseudanthias. The "Mirolabrichthys" type anthias don't seem to tolerate other species very well. Often see P. squamipinnis, P. cooperi, P. huchtii and P. pleurotaenia hanging out together, but not these guys.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bump.

Long term dispar success anyone?

11. 4age

4age

tagging along. .im about to order 4 or 5...read that disbar are one of the hardier anthias. ..would love to hear from those who keep them

12. Adee

Adee Thread Starter

I count 2 left of the original 10 that I bought about 2 years back....from that lot I think 3 jumped out of the tank....others I suspect died from starvation induced trauma's.

If u intend keeping them, make sure u don't have too many other fish that will bully them for the same food source. Chromis in particular will snap up chow before it get to these shy guys. U will need to feed thus a lot throught the day in order to circumvent them not getting enough food....feeding in general makes anthias very finicky. I for one won't buy any more anthias, rather focus on the apogon varieties of cardinals....or, I would go for a mono specific tank that has no other competitors for the same foods...that would be the best bet.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2013
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Thank you Adee. I have a total of 14 Anthias in my tank. None are Dispar. 5 x evansi 3 x carberryi 4 x pleurotaenia and 2 x Huchi. I have had all except the carberryi together since I got the tank is September last year. The only other fish in the tank is a few tangs, a coral beauty and a cleaner wrasse. I feed twice a day with mixture of coral foods and lobster eggs. The evansies and the carberryi school together. The Huchi male is a little bossy towards the females. I was hoping that the dispar might school with the evansies. But if they are very shy I will give them a miss.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2013
  14. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

The slender species of anthias (dispar, tuka etc) are a lot more shy and sensitive than the bulkier species like P. squamipinnis and P. pleurotaenia. Absolutely agreed on the frequent feeding.

I've got these guys which are doing very well:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

LOL @ Lord_Blackadder, good luck with Tuka....replace school weekly ;p

16. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I love the apogon aureus! You need to post pics of yours though! :thumbup:

Recent Posts