Any volunteers in PTA?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a journalist for a community newspaper in Pretoria.
I realise you guys are having a real struggle with the power cuts vs damage tot your equipment due to surges and death of your stock...
I would like to ask two volunteers who have tanks in Pta if I could make appointments with them to come and listen to their stories and write it with a pic or two?
Anybody?
Cheers guys...

i'm in pta but i haven't lost anything......yet (touch wood)
but i can always lie:whistling:

There have been a few guy's around the country that have had their tanks wiped out due to the power outages.
Literally thousands of rands of Precious Marine Livestock that has been destroyed.

That will make for a better storyline than hardware ;)

hey man,last year August i lost thousands of rands worth of corals because power out for over 9 hours

There have been a few guy's around the country that have had their tanks wiped out due to the power outages.
Literally thousands of rands of Precious Marine Livestock that has been destroyed.

That will make for a better storyline than hardware ;)

Yes I agree, the wellbeing of the livestock is really the issue here... But I was wondereing why people's TVs and computers blow with the power surges and all. Surely if a big setup experiences a huge surge, some key equipment gets damage? How do you prevent these, and what options does aquiarists have to keep their systems going through powercuts? How does it affects the wellbeing of the eco systems in the tanks?

Anybody lost any stock due to power cuts in PTA?

i'm in pta but i haven't lost anything......yet (touch wood)
but i can always lie:whistling:
Hey, you are not allowed to lie!:lol:
But what is the longest powercut you ever experienced? Did you start to get worried? Have you put any precautionary measures in place?
I need all the details...:)

If you perhaps expand your investigation beyond Pretoria you may get more input. Is there any particular reason why it has to be in Pretoria?

One of our Port Elizabeth members just recently lost literally thousands of rands worth of fish and corals due to a substation blowing up seconds after it was switched back on after a planned powercut.

Have you put any precautionary measures in place?
Many members have invested in UPS's, Inverters, Generators etc. at great expense in order to preserve the delicate livestock and ecosystems within a marine aquarium.

Kempston Park in PE - 7 day's power cut... I wounder if they had pet shops in the area with fish, and how they "coped" or "didn't cope".

Hey, you are not allowed to lie!:lol:
But what is the longest powercut you ever experienced? Did you start to get worried? Have you put any precautionary measures in place?

5 hours was the longest, i don't have money to buy a generator or ups to run the tank.(student)
If i loose my livestock then i'll "vat 'n trok and ry al escom se fok&n pale om":p

5 hours was the longest, i don't have money to buy a generator or ups to run the tank.(student)
If i loose my livestock then i'll "vat 'n trok and ry al escom se fok&n pale om":p

Lanzo, get a battery pump. I had a power failure today for 14 hours, UPS lasted 4 hours, battery pump was still going 14 hours later. Kept oxygen in the water column, didn't lose any livestock, even though the water dropped to 21,5

Check how simple it is, even our domestic knows how to switch it on/off

528481f8849217c9.jpg

so it switches on automatically when power goes off

Nope the UPS does that, but this unit is my extra backup like today.

The UPS would never last for 14 hours, so when I left for work switched it on, got back, power was still out, pump was still going no prob.

then i need to learn my domestic to press the red button when power in house is off, this can't be that hard.... or can it?:p

then i need to learn my domestic to press the red button when power in house is off, this can't be that hard.... or can it?:p

make sure the red switch is easy to get to, and I is on, not O. thats all I say.

Back
Top Bottom