Any tips and advise???

Discussion in 'Pico Tanks' started by Dian6430, 10 Jul 2013.

1. Dian6430

Dian6430

Hey guys. Looking at starting a pico tank. I know its hard and all that. Please dont tell me not to do it or its to hard. Just looking for tips and things to look out for etc. so any advise will be greatly appreciated :thumbup: also any stocking tips would be nice.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Pico's arent as difficult as everyone says!
    There are just a few crucial rules!
    1. Weekly waterchanges (up to 60% of total volume)
    2. You MUST have a very good quality refractometer to ensure your salinity of waterchanges are always constant!
    3. You must remove all detritus on a regular basis by syphoning. (Barebottom tanks make that very easy!)

Other than that... I would suggest you start with 1x clown goby, a cleaner shrimp, a couple of zoanthids & perhaps a couple mushrooms!
    As your skills /experience increases... You can later add some more difficult corals.
    Its very important not to try to overstock with fish & inverts as they will very easily overcrowd the tank & foul the water!

For a cleanup crew: 2x pyramid snails, & a couple micro brittle starfish should do it for a start!
    Then later you can add a couple nassarius snails & perhaps a hermit...

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

What volume tank were you considering?
    For lighting, i eould definitely recommend going for a led unit as they wont overheat the tank...
    Perhaps @G DP can give some input as he has a very nice little pico!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

with a pico tank you wont really have stocking problems because you wont be able to stock more than 2 -3 fish. i would say Clowns and a Mandarin / Dragonet. i think you might also find it difficult to find a quality skimmer for a small tank. another challenge would be creating enough flow. do you already have a tank in mind? are you planing on having a sump?

6. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Oke tank still needs to cycle. Will be setting it up friday. What must i add just to kick start the cycling process? Thanks for the comment thats the sort of information im looking for. I will be using sea water. With water changes what water must i use? I like the stocking i have in mind as i was thinking of the same stuff. A LFS owner told be i can add normal ocellaris clown fish, will that be fine or will they grow to big?

7. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

No sump as that will defeat the purpose of a pico tank. I have a ibox skimz. Its a 10 litre tank. I just want to keep 2 ocellaris clown fish or some sort of clown fish with corals. It has a 21W led light. So any advise will be nice!

Last edited: 10 Jul 2013
  8. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

I was told that no skimmer is required but there is a skimmer available for this tank so i can get one. Been reading alot to and red that a skimmer isnt required/can be bad for the tank.

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@HOT SAUCE. The clowns could work depending on the tank size... But unfortunately a mandarin wouldnt last 2 weeks even if they are well fed with frozen foods (& thats if he eats frozens) in a pico!

What tank size do you have @Dian6430?

A skimmer isnt a must in a pico as long as you do the weekly waterchanges!
    You can use seawater for the waterchanges as well!

10. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

@Visser its an ibox skimz. Its about 10L water capacity.

11. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

A skimmer would definitely be beneficial ifyou get one for that size tank!
    The person that told you that a skimmer is bad for a marine tank has probably never kept a marine tank long term or has never kept one!

The ibox skimz is a nice little tank, & i would definitely suggest you get the skimmer with it!

Last edited: 10 Jul 2013
  12. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Oke ill see if i can get the skimmer somewhere. Maybe one of the sponsors can help me.

13. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

@Visser yes you are probably right about the mandarin.. i was sugesting it because i have a dragonet in my 40L nano that i feed only with pellets it seems to be enjoying them so far and it looks alot better than when i first got it from a friend. probably the mandarins are diferent .. i have not have experience with them

14. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Very glad i can use the sea water for water changes as i get it for free :thumbup: . In the cycling period i dont do water changes, correct?

15. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

No waterchanges required during the cycle, but waterchanges should be your weekly routine after the cycle is complete!
    You can add a bacterial supplement when you start the tank to help speed up the cycle!
    Prodibio biodigest & seachem stability is one of these products!

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

definitely try get a skimmer. a hang on the back if possible? as long as you have live rock in the tank you can add a piece of shrimp and wait for the cycle to complete... get yourself some test kits if you havent already as you'll definitely need them

17. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Yes im going to the store tomorrow to get the stability and all necessary test kits. I want to know when parameters are good to start adding live stock. Should i use LR and live sand or not? Oke ill look into the skimmer options.

18. Evo R

Evo R

The main things that are critical for a pico are 1. Salinity 2. Heat 3 stability. I would not add clowns as that would be like keeping to great danes in a guest toilet! Rather look at either a coral goby or yasha goby as they get like 2 to 3 cm big. Look in the pico tank section. There are threads where the guys mount rabbit water feeders to ensure that the water that evaporates gets replaced with R0 water immediatly. Then keep a close eye on the temp swings on a regular basis while its cycling to see if you need to add a fan for temp control. Then once you got point 1 and 2 under control concentrate on point 3 which is stability. With picos there's not much room for bad maintinance and up keep. To give you an eg; if a fish dies in a medium size tank of say 500l with very good filtration you will only notice that the fish is gone. In a nano you will notice a spike in no3 and no4 ect. With a pico chances are that your whole tank could crash and loose everything!!

I'm not trying to discurage you.......just to let you realize what you are letting yourself in for. So if your up for the challange, good for you and go for gold. As watching your little tank unfold through all the drama and sh@t its very rewarding and a good feeling.

19. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

That is very true and thanks for the comment. I ready for it and if i decided to do something, "doen ek dit ordentlik" so i think i can make a success of it. That is also the reason why im posting here to get all the possible information i can. The place where the tank will be standing is a cool place where outside temp doesnt swing a lot so i think that one will be alright. I have alot of time on my hands so can give the tank a lot of attention. Maybe i can maak a cover for the tank for the evaporation issue???

20. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

No need for a piece of prawn... In a tank so small, you will poison the tank with a piece of rotting prawn...
    Sorry @HOT SAUCE, not trying to badmouth yoir advice... I have tried cycling a small nano with prawn before, but the prawn caused the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates to spike to such high levels that i couldnt use the tank after that, & had to restart the the tank & added seachem stability. It then worked perfect!

21. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Oke so just use stability, check. Thanks @Visser any more advise?

Recent Posts