Any suggestions for sand cleaner.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Meneer, 4 Apr 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

I am looking for a Blenny or Goby or something that will keep the sand in my dt clean.
    Ann suggestions for something that will not re scape my entire tank and spit sand all over my lr etc. ,and is hardy.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

whats wrong with your sand exactly? its better to treat the cause than the symptoms

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

be careful in your selection as many of these little guys need a mature sand bed to survive.. but golden headed sleepers are always a standout but are mischievious in throwing sand over lower lying corals..

i would also consider a few hermit crabs and some brittle stars to keep the sand bed turned over...

5. leslie hempel

good point, perhaps flow may be the issue? please do tell us more.. :)

6. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

Taging along, those brittle stars are somee ugly little bugers.

7. leslie hempel

ha ha its not in the appearance but the function they provide but i get what you saying. and soem can be predatory so its important to select the right ones or keep the big ones fed :)

8. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

It is true, they are very good scavangers but still creeps me out:whistling:

9. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Try picking up a few nasarius snails, they keep your sang turned over, an like the said brittle stars too, as much as u like ur superwhite sand bed, its never gonna stay that way,,, with your cycle u gonna get lots of algae breakouts, diatoms(brown dusty algae)... Red slime(mostly over sandbed,usualyy cured by increased flow.... They eventually die off as the tank matures, so dnt fret too much, its all natural an healthy in the long run.......jus be wary of highly unwanted fast spreading plague algaes like GHA(green hair algae) aptaisia, wild anenomes an so on, the can throw u a bit off track......sterkte

10. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

There is nothing really wrong with the sand, except for brownish (diatoms??) which is a natural part of the maturing cycle. I just read that it is a good thing to have a sand sifter to eat the algae and stuff that would grow there, as well as to aerate the sand. I am aware that the sand is also part of the filtration system, but I have a dsb of 700x400 for that purpose, and it looks better if the sand in the dt looks clean. Also - Goby's and Blennies are uber cute..:p

I do have 2 Turbo snails and 1 Hermit how prefers to hang around the lr. :(

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Ya the diatoms will go in time, once your tank is more mature. Best for me is the Bluespot Jawfish...if u willing to pay out the R1900 for one I would definately go that route. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Boegie

Boegie

I bought a orange spotted blenny a few months ago and does an amazing job of cleaning the substrate. He makes holes all over and you cannot have corals directly on the substrate. But I won't part with him because he is an adorable character.

13. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I have a blue cheek, guy has lots of personality, and loves pissing me off by throwing sand all over my corals :p

I am lucky that he also takes flakes and any food I throw in my system.

Ciao!

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Yeah yeah, blennies and gobies are fascinating creatures, there ways about them is sometimes hilarious, BUT..... They make ur tank look like shit 90% of the time an ooh do they stress out ur corals wen the dump sand all over them an create sandstorms lol

15. zayd

zayd

I have seen a Diamond Back Goby in action and it does not throw sand all over the corals. Stays quite low to the substrate.

I am looking for 2 myself.

Recent Posts