Any info on Prodibio Spot and Velvet

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Fishie, 5 Dec 2012.

1. Fishie

Fishie

I am having an outbreak of white spot, does anyone know if Prodibio Spot and Velvet will change the colour of my tanks silicone ? I understand its reef safe - also any success with the product, any further advice would be great.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

4. raynow

raynow

I've used it before never really worked for me, some poeple said it cleared all their WS. What worked for me is metronidazole, kanaplex, focus mixed with food, garlicguard and vitality an uv lights. But imo you need the right amount of and flow trough them. Hope it helps.

5. maj

maj

It basically kills off all ur bacteria good and bad thus in the package u get a bio digest and biostart also to kickstart ur bacteria after dosing the meds vials that kill off the velvet n white spot.

So accurate dosing must be done and make sure u got snuff bacteria to dose to help along the good bacteria buildup.

Works best in a QT setup

6. Zuna

Zuna

killed my clowns in two days

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:eek: You sure it was the prodibo and not the velvet or WS?

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

9. pkc

pkc

Some one answered with quaratine,that’s the way to go and malachite is normally the one that colours silicon.
    Keep a quarantine set up if your system encourages white spot and use copper chloride based cures at 2 to 3 times the amount set out.
    White spot is before velvet and they progress to the next one which if velvet.
    White spot is an invert,so are your bio oxidisers,so any thing that will seriously cure white spot,kills all inverts!

10. Zuna

Zuna

yip followed the 60 to 100 liter guide line, switch off skimmer and didnt feed.
    by vial b i already lost one of my clowns and next day second one died. got two new clown and they also picked up the disease and i thought maybe i did something wrong and tried again. vial A day one all fine day two vial B minus 1 clown. stopped treatment and did 50% water change and just fed the survivor and velvet cleared on its own. oh yeah lost 4 damsels also
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=37513

11. pkc

pkc

That’s great that the parasite attack has eased off, now that the stress levels have been reduced and the ones with cortisol damage are sadly gone, it will hopefully be good for a while.

The remaining fish can achieve an immune response from this attack by being far stronger now with the chemical memory in their external mucus immune system to the these pests.

12. mytank

mytank

What has been working for me:

I got a Achilles about two weeks ago, my tank has been WS fee for 6 months: let me clarify that, I have had WS before I just think my fish have built up a strong immune to WS.

I put the Achilles in a holding tank which is in my sump and is connected to the return line so it gets constant water from my tank, a day later he was covered in WS.

The recommendation from where I bought it was every morning you dip him for an hour at the recommended dose of Seachem Paraguard.

The intention was not to kill once and for all but every morning it would dislodge the WS he had on him and treat the infected "holes" he had from the WS.

I always made sure he has tons of nori soaked in Garlic ( IMO that's not really much of a help but makes me feel better ;) ) and fed him pellets every time I went past.

I kept the lights off now there is no scientific proof this works but what it does do is keep the stress levels down. Don't put him in darkness let some natural light get there.

Some say (in a Jeremy Clarkson voice) that catching the fish is stressful etc and yes it is HOwEvEr:

1. You need a strong fish to start with, this comes from your selection of fish or where you buy it from. Where I bought mine from had had the Achilles for four weeks already.

2. Keep the catching stress down as much as possible, so don't go after him like a fox and rabbit.

My Achilles is now eating out my hand, when he sees his dipping bucket he no longer goes and hides like a naughty school boy but rather swims normally. When I put the net in, its more like a game to him than a scared squirrel.

He goes in every morning for an hour at a slightly higher dose (0.1 ml more) and as soon as he get back to his tank ( which I do a full a vacuum and clean and fresh water (mixed into tank water) ) - give him 2 mins and he is at his fresh nori like a hunger monster :)

Now a disclaimer - I don't think there is much you can do to KILL WS bucket method WORKs but you at the mercy of one spore entering your tank.

My advise to you is the best you can do is to help the fish naturally defend them selfs build that layer to keep the WS off.

Think of it like flu there is no cure and trying to not get it means walking around in glad wrap. You just need to be strong and health when you get it to fight it off quick!

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@mytank, thanks bud, that sounds like a great way of doing it. Also been reading on how to eradicate WS, and have also come to the conclusion that it's impossible, fish have it!

Glad "your boy" is coming on nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. pkc

pkc

Well said!
    The mucus coating on fish is the fishes defence against parasites, when the fish is stressed this minimises its immune strength as in the natural chemical’s in this mucus coating and the mucus production are compromised and the protists of which some are the parasites to fish, can get a hold.
    If the fish survives the attack they can build an immune response similar to how we do it and are better protected next time.
    Nice fish you have there.

Recent Posts