Any Ideas????

Real Life

Shrimp
Reaction score
Hello All,
I or should I say we (lIghty and I) are in need of a little help on identifying a fish we caught this last Friday. It has the exact body shape of an elegant wrasse. It does not have the larger dorsal like a leaf wrasse (and there was a bigger one which we didn't catch). It is more modeled in coloration than spotted. Thanks for all of you help!;)
Trust it is OK to ask for help on your behalf lIghty. If not it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.:whistling::thumbup:

DSCF4486.jpg

lIghty

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Don't know about you Real Life, but think Meks has it right. just googled for more pics and it matches.

Real Life

Shrimp
Reaction score
I thought it was from the macropharyngodon family but I could not find a species pic that matches. It is this family that has this same body style. The body style of the nebulosus is not quite right. I have had a juvi one of those last year and the body was different and it always has a spot on the back dorsal. Even as a juvi. These guys have no spot. Again just my 2 cents. Certainly not the expert.;)

Real Life

Shrimp
Reaction score
Thanks Road block ;)for the name. It is a jewel wrasse BUT it is from another family with the same body style as the Macrophary....whatever.
Image Record: [121676] Halichoeres lapillus
62429.jpg

Contributor: John Randall
Submitter: Richard Pyle

Specimen id: 120709
Basis of record: - Specimen
Sex: Unknown
Form: Indeterminate
Stage: Adult
Catalog number: 21715
Collector: J.E. Randall and M.S. Christensen
Date collected: 1977-06-21
Locality
Locality Id: 112226
Continent ocean: [INDIAN OCEAN] - INDIAN OCEAN
Locality: KwaZulu-Natal; Sodwana Bay, N end; reef 1 km offshore
Latitude:
Longitude:
Elevation (m):

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
from what i remember this isnt your everyday average catch.. could be wrong though.. nice...