Any Ideas????

Reaction score
Hello All,
I or should I say we (lIghty and I) are in need of a little help on identifying a fish we caught this last Friday. It has the exact body shape of an elegant wrasse. It does not have the larger dorsal like a leaf wrasse (and there was a bigger one which we didn't catch). It is more modeled in coloration than spotted. Thanks for all of you help!;)
Trust it is OK to ask for help on your behalf lIghty. If not it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.:whistling::thumbup:

DSCF4486.jpg

Reaction score
I thought it was from the macropharyngodon family but I could not find a species pic that matches. It is this family that has this same body style. The body style of the nebulosus is not quite right. I have had a juvi one of those last year and the body was different and it always has a spot on the back dorsal. Even as a juvi. These guys have no spot. Again just my 2 cents. Certainly not the expert.;)

Reaction score
Thanks Road block ;)for the name. It is a jewel wrasse BUT it is from another family with the same body style as the Macrophary....whatever.
Image Record: [121676] Halichoeres lapillus
62429.jpg

Contributor: John Randall
Submitter: Richard Pyle

Specimen id: 120709
Basis of record: - Specimen
Sex: Unknown
Form: Indeterminate
Stage: Adult
Catalog number: 21715
Collector: J.E. Randall and M.S. Christensen
Date collected: 1977-06-21
Locality
Locality Id: 112226
Continent ocean: [INDIAN OCEAN] - INDIAN OCEAN
Locality: KwaZulu-Natal; Sodwana Bay, N end; reef 1 km offshore
Latitude:
Longitude:
Elevation (m):

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
from what i remember this isnt your everyday average catch.. could be wrong though.. nice...