Any ideas on diy chiller or second hand ones?

Reaction score
hey guys i got my tank but its sitting at 27degrees and its not even summer yet so was just wondering if anyone know of a good diy solution or a second hand chiller that they want to get rid of.

:lol::lol: I have to laugh dude...you're in the same tank as me!!!! I had the same thread as you 2 days ago. My tank was at 30C and summer hasnt even kicked in yet! Try some fans for starters blowing directly onto as much of the tank water surface as possible.i was told to do the same and my temp dropped 2degrees in an hour or five. Then when you can afford a chiller get a hold of SIMS.

goodisor is right. PC fans saved my tank from 30 degrees, it now sits comfortablt at 25-26. the seceret however is placement.

1 - more fans the better. minimum 2 i say

2 - if u have a closed canopy try getting a pc fan to blow air in on the one side and another to suck(hot air) out on the other side. where as open top, just one fan accross the surface.

3 - next fan should be placed on the sump, especially if u have a cupboard, it gets hot in there. try drilling a hole in the cupboard(preferably) and get a fan blowing cool air in to the sump area.

4- hole dimensions 80mm for your general R30 cooler fan and 50mm usually for a CPU fan

5 - if u cant drill your cupboards, leave the doors slightly open and stick a fan in there somewhere to create air flow!

Worked for me and its a much cheaper alternative to a chiller. oh and its working fine and its 34 degrees outside today...

total cost( fans = R30 80mm and R40 120mm) and (a DC transformer R70)

hope it helps bud

thanks guys i did notice a drop when i did that. guess i will just do it again. i had a closed tank now i have a open one. i'll put the two in my sump which is in the cupboard.

i've just had an sms from warr (i am in london at the mo) saying my temp is hitting 29 or so, sounds like things are warming up in sa, time to sort out a chiller. sounds like a number of tanks are hotting up:(

scruffels, if your tank is smallish perhaps consider a Peltier effect chiller. I think Boyu makes a few sizes. The cost is under R1000, I think.

Otherwise fans work really well. The regular PC fans packed up on me pretty quickly, so if I were you I'd try find a proper alternating current cooler fan. Hardware stores often have cheapish extractor fans for bathrooms.

Here is a interesting read on DIY chillers and why a small fridge wont work.

Why a dorm fridge will not work as a reef aquarium chiller

That was very interesting,a must read for all would be DIY chiller builders.Well done Andreas for pointing that out. It would be interesting to know how many people have made that mistake...and still will
0002006E.gif

Hi guys - I had a brainwave the other evening..... Why not get/use a small electric (12 volt) motor-car radiator fan? There's a company here somewhere's that sells them for like between R120 and R180.... these will be able to cool the water one HECK of a shot!
BUT - I do think they might be slightly noisy though...

Hi guys - I had a brainwave the other evening..... Why not get/use a small electric (12 volt) motor-car radiator fan? There's a company here somewhere's that sells them for like between R120 and R180.... these will be able to cool the water one HECK of a shot!
good idea.sound wont be an issue if you place it outside:whistling:

do they come with ear muffs????:p

Guys..... my tanks temp is rising ........

where is the best place in jhb to get small ac cooler fans

try your local aircon wholesalers.They sell all sorts of aircon parts including some really decent fans of all sizes.Ive never bought one but ive seen them there and they look neat.Ive got a single fan blowing directly on my sump..today the temp was 34 degrees and my tank maintained 27.5. They really work well.
000202EE.gif

thanks mate....

anyone bought one from midas or uilders warehouse ???

Back
Top Bottom