Any good siphons out there?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by gaboon, 10 Jan 2008.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I saw a siphon on the net that has joints to twist and bend to get under aquascaping. Anyway, probably costs a fortune. Are there any good ones or should I just get one that suite the height of my tank? An arb question I know

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaz19

gaz19

just get a jawfish, i keeps my sand sifted and is always clouding up the tank with detris. i know it doesnt look nice but atleast it is being removed! or just go get a cheap siphon

4. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Now that you say that, what are the views on sea cucumbers? I saw one in action and it left a trail of clean sand

5. gaz19

gaz19

never had one, but i think the can be fatal to ur other tank mtes if the a damage and release toxins

Last edited: 10 Jan 2008
  6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Get a long bit of pipe, stick one end in the tank, put the other end over a bucket and suck - create a sysphon then point the pipe where you want it to "hoover" nice and cheap.;)

Quite right - they do a good job, but if they find your powerhead, or even feel threatened - tank wipe out, every time.

7. SIMS

SIMS

what other fish keep the sand nice and clean?

8. gaz19

gaz19

wrasses? but they just burry them selves which could help?

9. LikesFish

LikesFish

Just an aside - the idea that sea cucumbers will wipe out your tank has reach a somewhat of a myth status. It is true of one is severely stressed it might spill its guts, potentially poisoning the tank, but that only happens in extreme conditions, and only when they expel their cuvierian tubules. Look here for more info:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/invert.htm

Scroll down to Sea cucumber defense responses.

Regarding wrasses - many of them stir the sand bed as they are searching for pods. I know my dragon wrasse and twin spot coris stir the gravel more than my sea cucumber does.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi - regarding a "vacuum" for the tank - you get all sorts at LFS's for sale - but as Wee-Man says - any flexible piping that has a big enough diameter would work.

BUT, since I have added my sea-cucumber to my tank, the amount of detritus has become FAR FAR FAR less in my tank - and I can actaully see a difference. The only problem I have, is not the detritus on my sand, but on the rocks. Neither a wrasse, jawfish or sea-cuke would clean that off....

The area of sand which the sea-cuke cleans is absolutely amazing! And mine has nearly double in size in about 1.5 months time!
    Also - I believe that the way the cuke "cleans the sand" also regenerates the bacteria on the sand particles in such a way that's healthy for the system in general.

I have also read that the dying of cukes killing off the complete system, is a myth. Yes - it would cause a major ammonia spike, which could be extremely detrimental to the system, depending on the size of the tank and the total amount of water in the tank..... BUT nothing really more or worse than the dying of any other big'ish animal in the tank - if an anemone dies - same thing - causes an ammonia spike - if a big fish dies - and starts to rot - same thing causes an ammonia spike.....

11. palmerc

palmerc

Recent Posts