Anti Virus and Security Programs

Reaction score
Seeing that we have so many IT guys/gals on this site, I would like to ask something.

I bought the Kaspesky Internet security and Antivirus Program last year. Brilliant program, but I found that everytime it updates, my Pc becomes a bit slower, and if I switch Kaspesky off, it runs at fast speed again. Now I am getting tired of this as it is starting to frustrate the living daylights out of me. I am looking for a program I can download/buy that will work and will delete infected files and will scan the Pc when I want it to scan, cause when Kaspesky decides to start scanning the Pc, everything slows down a lot. Any suggestions with links please- And please do not suggest Avg as I used to have it and still thinks it is crap:whistling:

Last edited:
i use anti-vir, its free, great and doesnt slow the system down, also run avast home edition

Hi Sean

Play around with the settings... I'm pretty comfortable with leaving the on the fly scanning on (scans files as you access them) and never scheduling a full scan. I don't see why you would need to do a full scan once you've done it once.

Also on the on the fly/on access type scanning there's usually a way to select that it doesn't scan every file type, you can set it to only scan the common file types.

Hey Sean,

I run an IT company based in Durban, so the info provided is going to be genuine experience related. 1) Kaspersky is the best AV around Hands Down! , against most of the other AV's around it has a much smaller footprint (not as resource hungry as its conterparts). The "slowness" you are experiencing is probably due to one of the various components in KIS. i.e . spamfilter / parental control / firewall etc that is presently overworking. My suggestion is to turn different component off, one at a time and determine what is causing the problem - you can then either leave it off or play around with settings within that component . 2) if it is just Hardcore AV that you need without the bells n whistles then your number 1 bet is NOD! - this is just an AV without any firewalls / filters etc. If there is a virus on the system... NOD will remove!

I can second the vote for NOD32... I'm not really into running whole "suites" of anti everything...

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, I have anti Spam and Parental control on high, as my children (4 off) also uses the Pc during the day. I changed the scanning times to 4 o'clock in the morning, but every time I go onto the internet, it starts scanning by itself and keep on scanning the whole pc. I checked the settings, but it is still set to 4 in the morning, on "scan computer" as well as "Scan registry" etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alida is going to whack you if she sees this (4 off children)
NB thanks for the help last night it looks like it is doing the trick.

DO the ffg:> 1) Turn off the scheduled full scan, Cos as Rory said you qnly needed to do this once.. when you first install the AV. Normally AV's dynamically check for viruses as and when files are accessed. 2) Turn off SPAMfilter if possible, there are some noted bugs with this, especailly if it is interfacing with outlook. Can really slow the PC down a bit when receiving mails.

DO the ffg:> 1) Turn off the scheduled full scan, Cos as Rory said you qnly needed to do this once.. when you first install the AV. Normally AV's dynamically check for viruses as and when files are accessed. 2) Turn off SPAMfilter if possible, there are some noted bugs with this, especailly if it is interfacing with outlook. Can really slow the PC down a bit when receiving mails.

It is definitely doing as you said. I will try it. Thank you for your advice

Back
Top Bottom