Anthias

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Atilla, 8 May 2009.

1. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

hi everyone

i would like to get myself a nice group/shoal of anthias (thinking of squampinnis). how many should i get to keep them happy? can they be kept single or 2 or 3?

how many times a day do they need feeding? will i have to use a food timer?

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Atilla - A shoal is a minimum of 5 or more. Less, and they will most likely die out - or perhaps fight between each other.

W.r.t the feeding - I have heard of some people who feeds their anthias twice a day (in the mornings, and in the evenings - when they are at home). Yes - you CAN use an automated feeder if you want to - but the main issue here, is that you will MOST LIKELY only get them to eat defrosted brineshrimp, or krill/plankton (the frozen types).

And these types of foods tend not to work too well in an autofeeder....

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Just to add to Jacques post, make sure there is only one male out of the shoal. Should there be more than one, they will fight till one dies.

5. Atilla

Atilla Thread Starter Sponsor

what would be the best food for them?

6. Tony

Tony

To answer your first question like the guys said five more more. As many as you can afford or your system can handle. Most anthias bought are females but every now and then a male slips into the mix. One male is cool and the dominant fish in the schooll of females will become the male. It's called protogyny.

You can like Jacques said feed them with frozen brine shrimp and red plancton at first but I introduced mine to the Omega One first flake and they like it like mad. They also take all sorts of prepared foods now. I fee them twice a day with the prepared food and find they can go longer between meals on the flakes as they are a richer food source than the yget in nature

7. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I tried feeding mine flakes and they went mad because they were getting fed but didn't "register" that the flakes were the food :p

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

only having 2 goldies i must agree that numbers of 5 or more are best, regular feeding is very important, i feed frozen brine once a day and live brine twice (leaving a gap here and there if i forget to hatch some) i also feed omega 1 garlic pellet (they not overly keen on that)..

just a note: feeding is one thing but to feed regulary and what they need is very important.. with all the foods i feed and vitimins i provide im still sorry to say my goldies have faded in colour suggesting i need to alter their diet.. just be mindful of that to ensure thriving not simply satisfied fish.

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

did you get some?

10. Atilla

Atilla Thread Starter Sponsor

no Les i didnt, i say in George and its REALLY difficult to get any livestock...theres always a story !! i even drove to P.E (400km) to get some fish... got a few beauties but still looking for a shoal of "aunties"!!!

Recent Posts