Anthias Hiding

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Albert Terego, 12 Jun 2012.

1. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Good day all,

I purchased 5 anthias (purple queen) on Sunday morning and added them to my tank after dripping them for an hour.

They have all been in hiding in my rockwork since adding them, and I am concerned that they are not eating because of this. In the LFS they were shoaling nicely and swimming in the open, even though there was rock in the tank for them to hide in.

Should I be worried or will they eventually come out when they feel more at ease in the new environment?

I do have a False Gramma/Bicolor Dottyback in the tank as well which is a little feisty, but I cannot see it being a problem for 5 fish - am I wrong.

Tank size is about 350l.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

I had a similar issue. Took a week for them to swim freely. I fed cyclops. The frozen blocks, really tiny shrimps that get everywhere in the water column. This way they had food even if they were hiding. Try that

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

The dottyback is very likely a big problem, even for 5 fish. Purple queens (P. tuka) are a very difficult species at the best of times. They need feeding 3+ times a day and very peaceful tankmates like fire gobies. Were they eating at the LFS? This is also a hard species to get feeding at all...

5. Wes

Wes

i had a blue damsel, tiny thing, removed that and my anthias started to swin around. Any aggression toward these guys they normally hide, problem is some of them will sulk and not eat till they die, sad... If you can get at least 1 or 2 to take to the water column, you may be in luck, they seem to spur the others on a bit and then they all get going. How long had the pet shop had them?

6. Albert Terego

Albert Terego Thread Starter

Damn, did not know they were a difficult species. I did not check if they were eating or not:( Apart form the dottyback, the other tankmates are peaceful (scooter blenny, percula clowns, bangaii cardinal, blue-green chromis)

I think they were recently landed, less than a week for sure.

7. Wes

Wes

how i got mine to eat was, feeding ocean nutrician brine shimp flake, red in colour, dropped it in with brine shrimp.

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

As a general rule, don't buy a fish unless it's feeding at the LFS. Ask them to feed it and then have a good look to make sure they're actually swallowing stuff and not just spitting it out.

Also don't listen to LFS staff when it comes to livestock unless you're going to an extremely reputable shop (not many of those). The sad reality is that the majority of LFS employees are idiots who know very little about marines and just want to make a sale. Ask on forums and check Google before you buy.

9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Hmm, clowns should be ok. Banggais are perfect, scooter is perfect. Chromis may be a problem if they're big but might be ok.

10. Wes

Wes

if you're not too far away, I'd be happy to try and get them going for you. Maybe if they mix with my confident Anthias they may come right.

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Not a bad one to try. I'd also go for Ocean Nutrition frozen lobster eggs or fish roe. Pretty much all anthias go mad for small eggs.

12. Albert Terego

Albert Terego Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Going to try the lobster eggs/roe for a few days and if that does not work I will try removing the dottyback and see if the anthias become more confident.

Wes, thanks for the offer - I am also in Randburg but I think it would be too much of a hassle and stressful to try catch all the anthias.

13. Wes

Wes

no worries boet, hope you come right...;)

Recent Posts