Ant Control

i think the white chalk you get will probably be safe.lets here from our Chemical Gurus

Is there no way to keep the ant population out by laying the poison around doors and windows - just in case anything should find it's way into the tank water

Is there no way to keep the ant population out by laying the poison around doors and windows - just in case anything should find it's way into the tank water
thats what i was thinking,draw a line using the white chalk around the tank,maybe around 30cm distance from the tank to stop the ants

I also heard that ants will not walk over a chalk line, not sure how true it is.

Use the magic insecticide chalk Mekaeel is talking about. You can buy it at Pick and Pay. Then just draw a line around your tank. The stuff works very well. We use it all the time cause the aerosols make the cats sick.

I was told to use baby powder as ants will not walk through it...will try it out..

What about your larger, furry four legged beasties Thallion - are you not concerned that they might lick the ant poison up?

I use those green plastic ant traps. They work like a charm. For years I battled ants in my house and in my tanks. I had them climbing into my tanks and floating on the surface and getting stuck in the over flows etc... I put the ant traps where I saw ants and changed them religously every 3 months... This is the first summer where I haven't seen an ant in the house! And my tanks are free of "floaters"!

P.S. I have 6 four legged beasties running around and they are all fine with the ant traps...

The traps might be a problem, as they like too chew things. I am busy cutting pvc pipe and they come in the garage a steel the bits.

Can your beasties get behind your tank?

Alternatively stick them to the wall behind your tank with double sided tape. The ants will crawl up the wall to get to it... The gel poison they put in the traps is like a sweet to ants they love the stuff will crawl in and out of it and die later.

Just be careful with the chalk. The chalk they are talking about is probably chinese chalk. Also good to keep roaches at bay, but quite poisonous. If you get any in your tank, it might do some damage. Anttraps are a good idea, sad thing is, they only work for the little black ants (sugar ants I believe), not the red ants we have here in Kby.

Back
Top Bottom