Answering the call to the darkside...

Gawiedj

Shrimp
Reaction score
Hi Everybody

I am Gawie and have been keeping freshwater tropical tanks for quite some time, alwasy had an interest in Marine tanks.

For years I safely kept away from Marine tanks but unfortunately my business partner and (not sure if he is a good mate at the moment) friend Henk Hugo finally convinced me to join the darkside.
I have a 90cm tank, holds about 150l that's been earmarked as my first marine tank.
If my questions are iritating, stupid or offensive blame Henk;)

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
oooooooh nnnnooooooooo! not Gawie! run for the hills!!!!!!!

The tank he has is the 1 size up from my little nano setup - the skimmer will be the hang on reef octo one :D

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Gawie welcome to MASA, the calling from the dark side is strong and once you give in there is no turning back. Ask Henk he tried.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
AWESOME! Yet another Cape Town Reefer! Welcome to MASA Gawie! So glad Henk convinced you AT LAST!

No questions are too stupid.... At least (if you two are talking) Henk can definitely advise you quite well.... He's been there - done that - got the t-shirt.... Unfortunately his T-shirt was also sucked into a power-head ;-) LOL!

So you two now gonna race and see who's tank is up first (I mean - between Henk's BIG mother of a tank, and yours, Gawie?)

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
the Tshirt only got sucked into the powerhead once... hence i do tank work without a shirt on now :p

Gawiedj

Shrimp
Reaction score
Ja well Henk when that big tank is up you would have to do the maintenance in swimming trunks or maybe even a speedo. ;) Water would be too warm for a wetsuit.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
oooooh yea baby! speedo! sexy sexy! :p
This is the reson he calls it the dark side Henk:razz:

Welcome to the forum hope you injoy your stay.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
henk u dog ;-). welcome gawie. may the the force be with you

lIghty

Purple Tang
Reaction score
welcome to MASA,

Like Wee-man said, we need pictures, I mean of the tank unless it funnies of Henk.... LOL

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
ooooooooh - Gawie Dean has amazing algea growing skills - i am sure he is willing to help with that side of things :D

Franske

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi gawie,im also quite new to this hoby,let me tell you its quite an expensive thing but damn its worth every cent,My nano is only 4 weeks old and im already spending more than two hours time on it a day,if its maintenance or just looking at the beauty and al the micro organisms,I also had fw for about two years but this is really kicking its ass al the way

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Welkom Gawie :)

Hill

Cardinal
Reaction score
Howzit.. Welcome Gawie