Another WhiteSpot Question

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by mytank, 29 Nov 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Now and again I notice a spot or two on my purple tang, never really a lot of white spot. I am moving to a new tank much bigger than the current tank.

I was wondering with the moving of the tank is there a way to time the white spot hatching etc and not using the current water to take this as an opportunity to clear white spot out of my tank.

I was planning on using my current substrate but if I have to I will turf that too, as long as I can get rid of the white spot I am happy :)

Thanks for the advise.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The spots you see are the final stage of host infection. So the spots are actually there already for 3 to 4 days.

I would leave the rock, corals and substrate in the old tank, for up to 6 weeks. With no fish. Hermits and snails you can leave in there. Even your shrimps.

also I would quarantine the fish, or use the bucket method for 10 to 12 days. then move the fish to the new tank. You do not need to do all the fish in one go either. But the old tank standing period starts when the last fish leave.

It is a lot of work. And that means you have to run both systems for about 2 months.

the question is, is it worthwhile? For you perhaps?

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan so that's the only way, I hate white spot!

5. Fishboy Godfrey

Fishboy Godfrey

My view to the problem u got is to treat the fish separate and the carols,rocks separate for a period of four to five weeks to get rid of the desease on your life stock before moving everything into the new system

Recent Posts