Another white spotted fish (Please help)

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Philip.Cloete, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete

Hey guys.

Just when I thought my system is up and going I see my regal has got white spots on him :(

Can you please check on the pictures if it is marine itch and what would be the best way to go about this thing.

I got the regal and it was fine for a week in the tank and the next day I saw the white spots on him, as I understand that is when the parasite goes out of the fish into the sand so that means the parasite is already in the tank (plz correct me if I am wrong)

So if that is the case it means I have to take all of my fish into quarintine.Only prob is I dont have a quarantine tank so should put one together asap.....

I am thinking about going the hyper salinity way beacuse it seems safer and the other thing thats a prob is I dont stay near a place which sells marine equip (so I cant get copper and copper test kits easily)

Its been a week now since the first time I saw the spots on the fish and they just seem to get more and more, they got smaller since the first day though.The fish is feeding fine I give it some nori twice a day.Also it seems fine and not stressed it was hiding for the first 4 days but is now swimming around everywhere.

If the problem is white spot I want to get a quarantine tank so can you experts please give some tips on a propper tank and method that could possibly save this fish, what equipment should I get (pumps, heaters ect...) and can I get these at a normal freshwater petshop.........

Thanks so much in advance for the help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete Thread Starter

Sorry the fish I currently have is:

2 x clowns
    2 x fire gobys
    1 x sand sifting goby
    1 x regal tang (one whith itch)
    3 x blue cromis
    1 x cleaner wrasse

Think I would need a decent sized tank to treat all of these

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  5. Philip.Cloete

I think I have too many fish for the bucket method

6. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

Ok maybe someone can correct me on this. I read paul b mention bout use of omega fish oil for immune system boosting. There's two things here from my understanding killing the parasite and curing the fish. 1 freeing your tank requires you take steps that the parasite can't resist ie copper hypo increase in temp will kill the parasite. 2 immune boosting supplements will help the fish fight the spots till it falls off. Normally happy healthy fish don't get ws.

7. Philip.Cloete

Thanks for the info guys what size tank should I get to treat these fish and what filtration should I add I read the bucket method is verry stresfull on the fish......I don't have a clue how to go about this

8. Philip.Cloete

Ok so after some research I think I am going to go with the bucket method...

I have 60 litre black plastick containers with lids will they work?
    I am also going to get 3 small heaters and a 120 litre quarantine tank
    2 heaters for buckets and 1 for quarantine tank
    Will an airstone in the buckets do it or do I need a pump
    Also can I not use the salt buckets I have to do this as it will save some water

What pump should I get for the QT and what amount of flow should I go for

Also what lights must be used (QT and over the buckets)

I am going to do half the fish (regal chromis cleaner wrasse ) first and then the rest of them after+

9. Philip.Cloete

So I tried to feed the tang more and added vitamins to his food aswell as garlic but the ich just got worse so decided he must go into a bucket and day one is complete he is still eating (gave just a small feeding this morning) and want to change to new bucket tomorow.

My quaestion is how do I acclimate to go into next bucket beacuse the first bucket is water from tank only I thought I will catch him with a smaller bucket and drip acclimate to new water parameters, will this be fine or is there another way

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

siphon 50% from the bucket he is in. Do not siphon the bottom part at all. Catch the fish in a plastic bag, a lot easier and less stressful than lifting him out with a net. Move him over. Refill the new container s-l-o-w-l-y with new water. Not from your display that is not cured yet.

11. Philip.Cloete

@RiaanP ok will do if I siphon out of the old bucket is there no chance that I can get some parasites in the new bucket I had a look at your thread and saw you used a filter but I don't have one and don't have an idea where to get someting like that

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the stomonts glue themselves to the bottom. and if you look at the time the take to hatch, then it is of no concern. Yes, a filter does give that extra bit of security.

13. Philip.Cloete

Where can you get that type of filter will the water purifying places sell something like that

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes, but check around, you need one with a big in and out take port. The ones the water purifiers use is really small and depends on your water pressure. The bigger ports allow you to siphon the water easier. I did get mine from a water purifying place, it uses a normal standard filter. But check their catalog. I think the ports are 19mm.

15. Philip.Cloete

Day 3

This morning the tang did not look verry good he was swimming but did not look verry happy

I also changed buckets filtered half of the old water to new bucket with a 1 micron filter I got this morning.
    placed heater and airstone (2nd set) in new bucket
    caught fish with small plastick bag and took him over to new bucket
    Dripped the NSW into the bucket to fill it up took about 4 hours to drip 10 litres

Tang now is lying on its side....:( , I also placed a piece of pvc pipe in the bucket for him to hide in

I read that tangs lay on their sides when stressed and mine is still breathing so I really hopes he gets better I will be verry disapointed when he does not make it

Has anyone done the bucket method on a regal before and what was its reaction

Is there anything more I can do to try and help this guy or should I just be patient?

16. DubKorps

DubKorps

did you try medication? herbtania works well in quarenteen setup.... also if i were you i wouldn have even removed him from tank,its quite normal for regals to the the occational spot, i had one for 2yrs and he gets it every now and again

17. Philip.Cloete

I gave vitamins garlic ect in dt but it just got worse and he scratced himself open on a rock so I only did it as a last resort.....hope it was not a fatal decision

18. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Herbtana falls into the same category as homeopathy and other crackpot alternative medicine. Use a proven medication like Cupramine.

19. mytank

mytank

In my opinion you might as well pee in your tank and turn your skimmer off too :)

20. R Lothar

R Lothar

My purple tang suddenly came down with whitespot as well. I gave him RO freshwater-dip (same temp and ph as dt) for 15 minutes. All white spots fell off over the next day or two and the fish has been clear for a few weeks since.

21. Philip.Cloete

Too late for FW dip just trying to calm this one down and get him swimming again its just lying in one place

Recent Posts