Another stupid Q

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
Do u need to run ur skimmer if u have only live rock in ur system? Does ur filtration need to be 100% up and running?

On a new set up, you don't need the skimmer, but if you get it run in while you are waiting for the cycle to finish, it will be ready to work properly, it will also give you time to get used to how it works.

Cool. So I can do a basic setup so long with one or two live rocks and sum porous rocks to seed? and a molly or two. lol lol

Wot do I use then?
6 weeks of patience ;)

It's cruel to use a freshwater fish, or any fish for that matter, to cycle a tank, the cycle will happen all on it's own, just be patient.

6 weeks of patience ;)

It's cruel to use a freshwater fish, or any fish for that matter, to cycle a tank, the cycle will happen all on it's own, just be patient.

true that, some guys have even introduced other species of fish to their tanks to
check if the cycle is complete:(
i have read that the use of a piece of hake or prawn can help to get the tank cycled

Ok....step for step. how do I set up my tank properly will its ready to add livestock?

On a new set up, you don't need the skimmer, but if you get it run in while you are waiting for the cycle to finish, it will be ready to work properly, it will also give you time to get used to how it works.

Wee Man is right to an extent. You don't need a skimmer until you increase your Bio load by adding coral or fish. I found that if you run a skimmer before the system has completed its cycle, you will prolong the cycling period. Here in the States, we have used cut up frozen shrimp as a way to spike the ammonia thus starting the cycle. I totally agree that it is cruel to use freshwater fish to start the cycle. Freshwater fish will eventually die. If you must have fish in your system, you can use a very hardy species such as Damesel's to do this. They have a better chance of surviving the cycle. Personally, I would just use a small amount of frozen shrimp to do this. To answer your last question Wetty, test your water and look for the ammonia spike. Then test your Nitrites. After the bacteria level (nitrobacter) has been established, there will be a spike in Nitrates. Another colony of bacteria will develop bringing your Nitrate level to 0. At that time, you're ready to add livestock. This uaually takes 4-6 weeks. As everyone has stated before, patience is golden. These different bacteria are present in liverock, so the more LR, the better. You could also speed the process by adding the bacteria to your system with a product like "Prodibio".

How much frozen shrimp then? And will the ammonia stabalize? Or must I add supplements to bring it under control?

How much frozen shrimp then? And will the ammonia stabalize? Or must I add supplements to bring it under control?

Not much cut up shrimp, depends on the size of you tank. Like I stated before the nitrobacter will eliminate the ammonia. They are present in Liverock. The ammonia is a result of waste, such as decaying shrimp or fish poop. That's the reason for adding fish to a cycling tank, to use the poop. Also Wetty, no such thing as a stupid Q in this hobby.

216 litre custom 3ft tank...and 3ft with 4 compartments sump tank.

so do i add the shrimp before or after the live rock?

216 litre custom 3ft tank...and 3ft with 4 compartments sump tank.

so do i add the shrimp before or after the live rock?

I'm sorry Wetty, some of us are stupid here in the States and use gallons as opposed to liters. I'm guessing your tank is about 50 gal.. If that's about right then use about 3 nice size shrimps. It doesn't too much matter what goes in first. You want the shrimp to decay then the bacteria in the liverock will attack the decaying matter and start to do their thing. I wouldn't turh on the skimmer quite yet. Just turn on your power heads for flow and sit back and wait. The ammonia will spike relatively quickly.

Poecilia sphenops is a species of fish, of the genus Poecilia, known under the common name Molly. They inhabit fresh water streams, coastal brackish and marine waters of Mexico. The wild-type fish are a dull silvery color, often sprinkled black all over.
Poecilia sphenops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you really want to see a happy Molly keep him in seawater. Just drip them before you introduce them. or their bouyancy is really upset.

If you really want to see a happy Molly keep him in seawater. Just drip them before you introduce them. or their bouyancy is really upset.
Yes, but I disagree with using them or any fish to cycle a tank.

I'm sorry Wetty, some of us are stupid here in the States and use gallons as opposed to liters. I'm guessing your tank is about 50 gal.. If that's about right then use about 3 nice size shrimps. It doesn't too much matter what goes in first. You want the shrimp to decay then the bacteria in the liverock will attack the decaying matter and start to do their thing. I wouldn't turh on the skimmer quite yet. Just turn on your power heads for flow and sit back and wait. The ammonia will spike relatively quickly.

Its round bout 55 - 60 US gallons all in all.

And bout the Molly story...iv just heard a few stories that Mollys acclimatise nicely to sea water and can be used successfully to cycle the system...but ill rather use the shrimp. It just sounds easier

Back
Top Bottom