Another shark attack

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by leslie hempel, 23 Aug 2011.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Thats 3 this month,, WTH?

East london plett and i cant remember wherelse but its hectic.. latest victim is in Plett and has lost his leg and is in a ctitical condition..

will ppost more ifo for those interested...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Why doent everyone just stay out of the water. By entering the sea you are entering the the seas food chain. I stopped swimming since I started catching these buggers.
    By the way, what shark Les?

4. Quintonv

Quintonv

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

End of June there was this American dude, filming the sardine run. Got bitten at Rocky bay south of Durban. Bloody stupid to go out filming the sardine run in my opinion. All the predators around. And in your black wetsuit you look like a nice slow sealion or rob. You will be taken out.

6. danimal

danimal

that link says he was swimming in a river mouth...?

7. Xereo

Xereo

lol Stupid to be Swimming in a murky River Mouth..
    Apparently he died..
    I think People need to be Educated, or people will just learn the hard way.
    Stay out the water as simple as that if you dont want to risk your life..
    A shark aint going to come eat or attack you sitting on your couch :p

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

unidentified mek.. but yep i hear you but 'only a surfer knows the feeling" of riding waves and the attraction the sea has to such recreational users.. ironically shark pod devices have doubled in price in the last year from R2500 to well over R5k..

and the bad press about sharks attacking people are just good for their sales..

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I love swimming,but in a swimming pool. At least I know theres no killing machines in there. But it is stupid to swim where alot of people do swim. Here in Hermanus we have seen huge great whites just of shore,like 100m where people still like surfing and they surf there all the time. can you really like surfing or swimming in the ocean that much?

10. Xereo

Xereo

I Promiss you around the world more people drown in a day than a Years worth of Shark Attacks.. Its so rare.... So ya. Atleast that shark is full so he wont bother anyone for a while :p

11. leslie hempel

not a practical suggestion, :tt2:
    how can people be educated if they stay out of the water?
    yes it is an intense spiritual feeling that you cannot shrug once you have it, its not a sport its a lifestyle, i hake up everyday wondering if the weather will be condusive to ride waves.. if you were to experience it properly you would know how powerful the connection is.. its something you would risk your life for. i cant explain it
    ironically not so much anymore..

12. leslie hempel

13. danimal

danimal

14. Reefhead

Reefhead

Thats sick dude
    By the way he was a 49 year old surfer, who had been surfing for over 20 years, so I think he was more than educated in what could happen. Untill you know the full story dont make stupid comments

15. 2balive

2balive

Beware of the toasters...

This is such a rare event, but I can understand people's fear. I also feel for the people that this have happened to and their families, it can not be easy.

As with any sport or human pass time "things can happen", people fall off motorcycles if the ride, get bitten by snakes if they hike, are in car accidents if the travel. If you think of the millions of people in the sea each year, and the number of attacks, I find it amazing that we can share a space with a primary predator without barriers or protection resulting in so few negative encounters.

I am very nervous walking through a wildlife area with lions in, without an armed ranger, yet often swim and surf in know shark locations and sometimes even see them without any incident.

I have scuba dived with most species of sharks and never have seen aggressive behaviour (but always have been scared). Amazing creatures to watch. See this link of a dive I did two years back on Aliwal Shoal.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106353390822223317617/TigerSharkDivingAliwalShoalJan2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCIfpsIi7yfmC-gE

Also dived in the sardine run, one of those proverbial live changing experiences, but I have to admit that with so many large creatures hunting together in the same space, accidents are very likely to happen (but remarkable few do). TV watching may be significantly saver than this.

Very scary what is happening to their numbers world wide. More scary to read the impact sharks' removal from the food chain is having on tropical coral reefs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  16. Elrond

Elrond

I am a surfer and not a single surf session goes by without me thinking about Sharks. Occasionally the paranoia takes over and I simply get out the water. I've made peace with the fact that in the unlikely event I get munched, it's one of the better ways to go. I'm in the sharks habitat so certainly wouldnt want anybody to go moer them because of my silliness.

I had the privilege of surfing with the Raggies in July - I thought it would scare me poohless and I might never surf again. Granted the Raggies are the vegatarians of the ocean but still...

They have some interesting statistic at Ushaka about 4 people dying per year of shark attacks and 50 dying from falling off chairs (or some such statistic - please dont quote me).

I am sorry for the loss of life and the trauma caused to the family of the latest victim. Hope they find peace.

To the beauty of the ocean!

Some few snaps of July (because a thread without pictures...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. leslie hempel

awsome pics and very well said..

has anyone watched soul surfer? fantastic inspirational movie..

18. SHAYNE

SHAYNE

You said it Lesie, here in Durbs its still at the movies. just saw the review last night its a must watch.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

20. seank

seank

Hey, I saw a movie some years back where a Creepy Crawly attacked and killed a person. I do not own a creepy crawly any more, nor a pool gobbler, cause it can gobble you up.... It is true..... I swear, I have really seen it on a movie, and movies do not lie, especially low budget horror movies, as it is always re-enactments of the truth

21. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

It is always tragic when there is a loss of life or a loss in quality of life ..... but we need to look at things in perspective .......

these stats are from a Florida based website and are US biased ..... but none the less speak volumes about how this should be viewed ...

Given their apex preditor status I think they are remarkably well behaved !

Attack Statistics

According to the International Shark Attack File, between 1580 and 2010 there were 2,320 confirmed shark attacks around the world.

Region
    Confirmed Attacks
    Deaths

United States

Hawaii

Australia

Africa

Asia

Europe

South America

Antilles and the Bahamas

Bermuda

Mexico and Central America

Pacific Islands, Oceania

New Zealand

Other

World

What Are My Chances of an Attack?

• In the U.S., your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack.
    • Bees, wasps, and snakes kill more people each year than sharks.
    • Drowning, heart attacks, beach accidents resulting in spinal injury, sunburn, cuts from stepping on sea shells, dehydration, jellyfish stings, and traffic accidents going to or from the beach are all far more common than shark attacks.
    • Between 1990 and 2009, there were 15,011 bicycle fatalities, compared with only 14 deaths due to shark attack. In 2009 alone, there were 630 deaths due to bicycles and 1 shark-related fatality.
    • Between 1985 and 2009, there were 1,583 tornadoes in the state of Florida, which resulted in 125 deaths. Florida waters witnessed 485 shark attacks and 5 fatalities.
    • Between 1990 and 2006, 16 people died as a result of sand hole collapse, while 11 fatalities were attributed to shark attacks during the same time period.

Recent Posts