Another reason for drilling holes in live rock-dead coral.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 1 Mar 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

The main reason I drill multiple holes in my sterilised dead rock is housing tubeworms, attaching corals and for placing other life to start on the rock so that it becomes my live rock and not full of potentially nasty hitchhikers and toxic sponges.

My little female bumble bee shrimp is showing off its hole, that the male I assume is in as well and I saw it actually scare off the red line and pep shrimps, that went to close to its hole.

It comes out had a feed,picks some other shrimp and goes back down its hole, what a life,lol.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@pkc, thats a very cute shrimp. Wish i could get one of them!
    Just a quick question. Whick type of drill do you use to drill the rock?
    I have found that using normal concrete drills breaks the rock...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I don't know mate,you do have to be careful and not dril near an edge,i just use masonry drills with the dyna setting on with the drill as well, the size I use is 8 mill.
    I drill right through for tube worms and remove there tube placing the worm in the hole and the next day they have set up a new tube in the hole.
    They need both ends open and the other holes are for the corals and sponges and algae.
    I just drill in 30 mil or so for them for the corals this time like my first time many years ago and like back then i am using acrylic rod with sections 25 mill long the same diameter as the hole, gluing it to the coral on the correct angle, wrap my epoxy resin around the rod and sit it in the tight hole in the rock and off they go.
    I found many bumble bee shrimps that day in 4 feet of water at the shoreline on a club trip.I just wanted a pair.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2013
Recent Posts