another newby

Reaction score
hi all.........
came across this site today, have had my 550 boyu for about 4 months now, and all is good.
1 thing i believe in is 10 to 20% water change once a week to keep all levels of amonia and nitrates down.
and what do you guys think about that?????????:thumbup:

thanks to all for the big welcome.....:peroni:

well if you call letting your tank sit for 6 weeks before introducing fish, then yup, cycling its done.
pick up a few snags now and then, had a smaller boyu with some crabs and snails, 2 nemos and a nenomi (spelling) nemos loved it, but i needed a bigger one, pain staking those six weeks though, but now they got a bigger home, 1 died, so got another 1 always need a partner, anyways good to be on board.

Welcome to MASA :)

thanks to all for the big welcome.....:peroni:

well if you call letting your tank sit for 6 weeks before introducing fish, then yup, cycling its done.
pick up a few snags now and then, had a smaller boyu with some crabs and snails, 2 nemos and a nenomi (spelling) nemos loved it, but i needed a bigger one, pain staking those six weeks though, but now they got a bigger home, 1 died, so got another 1 always need a partner, anyways good to be on board.

well ummm no that not totally what we call cycling....a few test knowing what your parameters are, where the no2 and no3 spikes are hitting and what the ammonia content is etc, all rather key infor before you intoduce your first clean up crew.

then a while later think about a fish.

a year later perhaps your tanks is getting ready for that first nennie.

also you have checked the lighting parrameters in your nano are good for nennies right?

or better, what lights do you have?

i dont have the nennie anymore, took over the tank........
will take some pics and post them.
i have the boyu standard system.
saw something about the ceramics and the plastic balls causing bad amonia build up, true or not and if so what does one replace them with?

i dont have the nennie anymore, took over the tank........
will take some pics and post them.
i have the boyu standard system.
saw something about the ceramics and the plastic balls causing bad amonia build up, true or not and if so what does one replace them with?

hi John, welcome to MASA, to answer your question you need to answer some of mine:)
Do you have live rock?
Do you use R/O water and salt mix or Natural sea water?
What other equipment do you have?

If you can help us by describing your system, complete with a few pics, then we can help you to enjoy the hobby much more, in the mean time, have a good read through this site and take in as much as you xcan there is so much to find out

yip have live rock, star fish, some coral, dont ask me names of things, still very rough on that side.
think i got a rock spider sea spider, can hardley see the guy stays in his crevice, got some feather duster things, had them all for about 2 months now, so hoping is all gonna live well. will get some pics up for you guys......thanks man

hi John, welcome to MASA, to answer your question you need to answer some of mine:)
Do you have live rock?
Do you use R/O water and salt mix or Natural sea water?
What other equipment do you have?

If you can help us by describing your system, complete with a few pics, then we can help you to enjoy the hobby much more, in the mean time, have a good read through this site and take in as much as you xcan there is so much to find out

get my water from a lfs sea and fresh, they make it by the heard.
live rock yes, some place have dodgey live rock though.

get my water from a lfs sea and fresh, they make it by the heard.
live rock yes, some place have dodgey live rock though.

Cool, just glad you didn't say tap water:p

The quality of the liverock can be a concern, do you know where it was from?

To answer your question though, if you have live rock (approximately 2gals of tank water per Kg is about right) then you don't need any other biological filter, the bacteria in the rock will be sufficient.

yip have live rock, star fish, some coral, dont ask me names of things, still very rough on that side.
think i got a rock spider sea spider, can hardley see the guy stays in his crevice, got some feather duster things, had them all for about 2 months now, so hoping is all gonna live well. will get some pics up for you guys......thanks man

send us a few pics and lets see if we can help do some id for you. Always a good idea to know what you are actually keeping and some of the things they like to stay healthy and happy.

and some guys arent so rough on the id thing here:)

that rock spider sea spider thing that lives in the rocks might need a pic, but its prob a bristle star or serpent star, but lets flash photo the fella and see shall we:)

thanks crispin will try to get a shot of him....very difficult though.
i sometimes get a darkish like brownish oil type stuff floating on the surface and it actually gets too thick to go in the overflow and the powerhead just keps rotating it, any idea what this is caused from, (heat, rotting fish)??

Back
Top Bottom