Another newbie post

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Endeavour, 12 Sep 2012.

1. Endeavour

Endeavour

Hey all MASA members,

We're two brothers trying our hands at the marine aquarist hobby and all is going fairly well so far. We have started out very small (I would have wanted to start out with a bigger tank, but it seems I like a challenge :) ) - 60L.

I have done a fair share of research but I thought what better place to get advice than from the expert hobbyists here on this forum! So before I get in too deep and kill off too much livestock I think I'd gather all the required hints and tips from you guys!

I must say I am glad to see that the marine aquarists are a very helpful bunch, eager to share stories, experience and a vast amount of knowledge - I am happy to share such a remarkable interest with great folk like you.

Well what better way to start my (our) new hobby than with a question:
    We are thinking of rather buying a much larger tank +- 450L with a built-in sump and then using the 60L as a refugium, frag tank or a quarantine tank (if need be). Do you suggest we make the shift or do we stick to the current tank to get a feel for the intricacies and challenges before starting a full fledged marine tank? We currently have a few sea snails, two blue-legged hermit crabs and two mollies in the tank (and I must say they are all still going strong).

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScottK

ScottK

masahello

There's nothing wrong with starting small but a larger tank will be easier to keep stable.

4. NJH

NJH

Welcome, as already stated a larger tank is easier to keep stable and alto more forgiving than a small tank. With the bigger tank you will have space for your skimmer, reactors etc.

5. NADEEM

NADEEM

Welcome to masa, I would say if you have the option of being able to get the bigger tank, then go for the bigger tank.

6. Endeavour

Endeavour Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it! Well then tomorrow I'm off to go and buy the bigger tank. :thumbup:

7. NJH

NJH

Good luck! Try to get the best equipment you can afford, and if you are not sure ask. Plenty of people here who can assist. Have a look at the sponsors on masa. They will also be able to assist.

8. ScottK

ScottK

Check out the for sale section, there are a few tanks that size going for decent prices.

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome!

Remember a bigger tank leads to bigger costs, and not always easier
    Keep the 60L, get it flourishing , understand the concepts and that will make a bigger tank more enjoyable

10. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

12. Endeavour

Endeavour Thread Starter

Thank you all for the encouragement and the warm welcome, I really do appreciate it a whole lot.

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

14. Jayceew

Jayceew

Welcome, let us know what you have decided tomorrow.

15. Endeavour

Endeavour Thread Starter

Hi Jayceew, thanks for the welcome. I have decided to stick with the 60L for now and perhaps build or buy a decently sized sump to house the filter, skimmer, etc. I figure this will increase the overall capacity of the system. Will this be the correct route to go though?

16. Jayceew

Jayceew

Like Dallas said, it will give you time to get to grips with a marine tank.

Yes, if you have a big sump compared to the display it will help with stability. Consider buying a large and good quality skimmer overrated for your current system, perhaps you can use it in the future on a bigger system without needing to buy another skimmer. Try and do this for most of the equipment you purchase, otherwise you will end up buying double again in the future.

A large system from the get go is nice because it gives you more room for error, but you have to be realistic about the costs also. A large system is going to be expensive on maintenance and if you cannot provide your tank with the essentials then rather scale down.

17. Dillan

Dillan

Get this running 100% keep looking on FOR SALE Forums - Marine Aquariums South Africa and start looking for something bigger this way with time and patience you can move from the 60lt to a bigger tank. The 60 can then become a QT so keep it running.

18. Endeavour

Endeavour Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.

19. Esmond

Esmond

:welcometomasa2:

20. Salie

Salie

masahello

21. Endeavour

Endeavour Thread Starter

Thought I'd share a story that might give you a bit of a laugh. One of the very important lessons that I've learnt with regards to this hobby is to do your research before buying anything!! As you might know, I have a 60L DT with no sump (yet), so I am quite limited to what I can stock. So over the weekend I go to a store (not mentioning names) and I ask about what I can add to my relatively new tank. Well, I ended up buying an anemone... later that day, with the anemone quite happy in the tank I marvel at the beauty of its purple foot, the light-brownish tentacles and its white tips when I decide to Google what anemone it is... well I guess you guys know from the description right? Yes, it is a Heteractis magnifica, an anemone that can grow in excess of 90cm!! Which not to mention, requires excellent water conditions. So, when I said I was going to stick to the 60L I didn't yet know that I would be buying a gigantic anemone! I guess now it is time to invest in a larger tank and pray that the anemone holds out. :blush:

Recent Posts