Another Newbie Here <----------

Hi guys,

So I got test kits from the LFS. They didnt have a phosphates test kit in stock :(

Test Results:
Water Quality Tests 28 Jan 2017
Ph 8.2
Alkalinity dKH 8 Meg/L 2.9
Amonia 0.2/0.4
Nitrate NO3 64 - N-NO3 14.55

From the Nitrate test My assumption is that my filtration sucks.... to be expected as there is much in the chambers in the sump behind the Tank. Btw I did a 25L water change. I noticed that the first chamber overflows from the main tank at the top, and the bottom of the tank there is 2 holes that goes to the bottom of the first chamber..... is this right? So now I need suggestions for filtration media and setups for the individual chambers. There are 4.

Some more info. Didnt have a wavemaker, but got a small one from the LFS, but it is rated 3000L/H. This replaces a 450L/H pump that was placed in the main tank to serve the purpose of a wavemaker, I assume. The return pump from the last chamber to the main tank is 1500L/H. Is this not a bit much for a 130L tank? The skimmer is rated 80-120L/H.

LFS says my algea prob is because I leave my lights on for too long. Should only be on 6-7 hours a day?

Karel

Last edited:
Getting a bit confused there with your no3 reading?
Can look at adding either more live rock, matrix is always a good option. Carbon dosing....there are many ways to skin a cat.

Lights could play a part. But with nitrates at 64 I'm gonna guess that phosphates are also high and are causing the huge algae bloom.

Ammonia is also high, should be 0.

Return pump is a bit strong but it's fine.

What kind of led lights and skimmer do you have?

Perhaps you could carbon dose as @Dexter recommended if your skimmer is up to scratch.

Personally in the filtration Chambers I'd run filter floss, skimmer, Seachem matrix bio media, Phosguard and carbon. Then you could carbon dose (vinegar, vodka etc.)

But you may find the carbon dosing unnecessary if running enough matrix.

IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0126.JPG I think I added the wavemaker flow rate after you guys posted. Is a 3000L/H not a bit strong for my small tank?

Attched pic is of the 2 holes that go to the bottom of the first chamber of the sump.

The skimmer is a small one. Not sure if it is adequate? Pic attached

When I get back home I will check what make and model the LED lights are.

Last edited:
The tank is still very new. Dont stress oit too much now. A tank can take months to mature. You mentioned the tank being 2 months old when you got it, and already had 3 fish and 2 anemones....... Thats alot of bioload for sucj a new tank. Juat relax and let the cycle finish. Get some dilter floss to remive the big gunk from the water, it will be your first line of filtration. If finances allow you can het some matrix to act as biological filtration and build up bacteria. light period depends on unit you use. But i would say with less coral and all being softies you can get away with a 6 hour light period...... Depending if the unit has a sunrise/sunset simulation mode.

3000lt per hour blower is not alot. My cube is a 60cm cube. Ive got a 1700lt return, 4000lt jebao wavemaker wp10, 500lt blower and a 1800lt blower.

Depends on water depth in sump section and air intake. When you start of they go crazy, the longer they sit they start going dry. As soon as you do a water change they overflow again. So its a matter of learning how they react to water chemistry. I replaced mine with a boyu tl550 skimmer as i have sps dominant cube and need super clean water. My bigger tank has a red sea berlin air lift skimmer that works the same.

Last edited:
Morning, so after adding the wavemaker, my fish are all hiding behind the rock in the back of the tunnel. Like a cave effect. The one small red anemone has also blown of its rock and is in the back of the tank :(

As for the sump.... any reason why there would be two holes at the bottom of the tank going to the first chamber also not sure what is at the bottom of the first chamber..... Pic attached. The first chamber over flows to the second chamber though filter sponge.
Then water flows from second to third chamber underneath where the heater and skimmer is. Then over flows from third to fourth chamber, where the return pump is.

My thoughts are to move the skimmer to the first or second chamber? Water level is consistent in the first chamber. Third and forth chambers water levels rise very high when the return pump is off. (Power failure or feeding time)
Place heater in second chamber and fill third chamber with ceramic rings? Used them in fresh water tanks. Would they be ok to use in marine tanks?
Would the 450L/P pump be better suited as a return pump than the 1500L/H?

Just a thought I have a 4ft tank with a 3ft sump. It should be fairly easy to convert this tank to a marine tank? Just had skimmer to the setup and Liverock?
LFS says is more expensive to convert a fresh water tank to a marine tank cheaper to just by a marine tank. But I cant see how that could be true....:confused1:

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

Should the overflow ever clig for whatever reason the bottom holes will still allow water to pass througj sump. Skimmer can go in first chamber no problem. 2nd chamber you can fill with ceramic rings but put fliss ontop to prevent loads of poop from settlingin the ceramic rings, it will cause a nitratte factory and you will always have algae. Good idea is to put the ring in a netting for easy removal when you clean out sump. 3rd chamber you can use for heater, refugium, matrix, phosgaurd etc.

@aapstert180

How much Matrix and phosguard do u suggest I get? How often do they need replacing? I think my chambers in cube tank sump, is too small for refugium.

Karel

I have a refugium in my cube, matrix doesnt need replacing, its like your luve rock. Phosgaurd is depends on you po4 reading, if you struggle with hair algae. As i said, wait it out, the tank still new and needs to mature

Morning Guys,

I was away for a couple of days on a business trip and when I returned last night, it seems that my ClownFish now has ICH..... :(

Karel

Ich?? Maybe white spot...... Feed with a garlic addictive. If he has velvet your chances of getting him to survive are zero. Dint dose or use copper in your tank, corals will die

Whats the difference between ICH and Whitespot? This morning i noticed the other 2 fish also have white spots and they scraping agains the glas and substrate.

I dont have any corals, but the crab might be affected by the copper?

Im getting a smaller tank this morning to setup as a "hospital" tank.

Hope I can safe them. Feels like this hobby is over for me before it even started :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Ich and Whitespot is the same thing. Lots of good threads here on treatment.

I suspect it was caused by stress from water quality issues. If you haven't invested a fortune in the tank I would suggest maybe starting over with a bigger tank and a sump underneath. More water means more stability and a sump lets you house a bigger skimmer on more equipment. Based on what I have read so far in your thread , I think the skimmer is a bit weak and you need more water movement.

Back
Top Bottom