Another New member

CDW

Reaction score
Hi, I just registered here. I am South African living and working in Vienna, Austria.

After many years of planted tropical and Chiclid tanks, I decided to change and start with a new Reef setup.

I currently have a ~330 liter tank with a sump. I have about 50 Kg. of LR in the tank.
My lights consists of 1 x 250 MH + 4 x T5's blues + LED moonlight.
I have an Aquamedic auto top-up system from my RO and DI system.
Then off course skimmer, pumps etc.

Still need a Calcium reactor but thats for later

The tank is now cycled after about 8 weeks.

Hopefully today I will add the first Cleanup Shrimp and a Hermit Crab or 3.

Chris

masahello Chris

Nice to have you here, of course you will have figured we really love pics:D:D

What is the LFS stores like there? Acclimatise the shrimp and crabs very slowly the are quite susceptible to changes in PH and salinity. Once again a very warm welcome

Welcome to MASA, Chris! WOW! This ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! We are now starting to get a decent international flavour (AND YOU ARE SOUTH AFRICAN EVEN!)

I am so glad that you decided to join us!

Please post us some pics of your system - if you don't mind?!? ;-) We are PIC hungry, as this is the only realy way that we can share your experiences with you!

Are you still having algae blooms in your tank? Do you use NSW or synthetic salt?

I would suggest to perhaps leave the cleaner shrimp until a little later even, as they are extremely sensitive. Many cleaner shrimp have died because the tank's water was not 100% right yet.

Perhaps you should add your hermit crabs first.... Try and add quite a few, that they can do a decent job of cleaning up the dying algae, before you add fish. After about 12-16 weeks you can actually start to add some soft-corals, that's quite hardy, if you prefer....

Do you use NSW or synthetic salt?

Jacques, I would imagine that with Austria being a landlocked country and all it would be synthetic:) I think he gulf of venice would be the nearest ocean, however I would taste a little too much wine on my way there:D:D

Hi CDW, welcome to masa, glad you found us.

Jacques, what do you mean "starting to get an international flavour":whistling:

Kanga, leave him, he's happy:lol:

56047cc21d1cbc45.jpg

Welcome CDW. Please try get us some info of the local marine reefing, I hear the German/Austrians are some of the best around

Hello, Many thanks for all the welcome messages.
Here in Austria are some nice LFS but unfortunately its not always that easy to find one where the staff can speak English.

I was lucky as I found a shop where the owners English is good enough. I designed what I wanted and he had it made for me with the cabinet.

Then also there are huge Mega shops, but strangely enough they somehow seems to be more expensive than the smaller shops in certain items.

Here are some pictures taken a while ago after I added some 10Kg. more LR.
80547e68e053566a.jpg

80547e68cf2a6c2a.jpg

80547e68d25afa2f.jpg

80547e68f36202ad.jpg

80547e68f6738250.jpg

Excuse the chaotic sump area, I plan to put in a controller later and then all the wiring etc. will be redone as I will replace the powerstrips.

Chris

Very nice tank Chris, unusual design it will look great given time and money:)

Very nice tank Chris, unusual design it will look great given time and money:)

Thanks, time I have, but money is the problem in this hobby, luckely with this hobby we have to be patient which gives us time to make more money, although never enough.

Chris

Thats a really nifty design there Chris:thumbup:

Thanks, time I have, but money is the problem in this hobby, luckely with this hobby we have to be patient which gives us time to make more money, although never enough.

Chris

How do the lfs prices compare in Austria? here in the UK it's not too bad, i just wondered in you can pick up tunze kit cheaply?

How do the lfs prices compare in Austria? here in the UK it's not too bad, i just wondered in you can pick up tunze kit cheaply?

There might be exceptions, but I have been doing a lot of online research in the UK and then here in Austria and also Germany online shops. For me the price differences was not worthwile. But comparing some of the stuff with US online shops it seems really cheaper in the US, but then there is again the tax and delivery issue.

I am going to the US in June for business and really hope to find a Calsium Reactor cheaper.

Hi and welcome again. Why not looking into building a Calcium Reactor yourself. Check out all the DIY threads, also, a Calcium reactor is surely not a neccessaty in the beginning, rather start off with a kalkwasser....

Hi and welcome again. Why not looking into building a Calcium Reactor yourself. Check out all the DIY threads, also, a Calcium reactor is surely not a neccessaty in the beginning, rather start off with a kalkwasser....

I was also thinking in that direction. Regarding Kalkwasser, I have an existing automatic top-up from RO directly into the sump. Is there a different way off making and adding the kalkwasser without the top-up, as I do not want to top-up a seperate tank (RO + Kalkwasser) and then another pump to pump from there to the sump.

Is it possible to drip the kalkwasser from a container next to the sump into the sump seperately from the topup-water?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom