Another DIY ATU

Reaction score
I am currently updating a 600 cube I bought, and have designed the ATU to suit the existing sump layout. Any feedback and criticism would be appreciated.
I have used off the shelf components from the hardware store and pvc piping suppliers. The only custom component is the bent clamping bracket which I had made by Mr. Plastic.

ATU.jpg

Float Switches.jpg

Anti-Syphon.jpg

Unfortunately I have to do something. Hopefully I will only have to top it up when I do a water change.;)

the distance between the two float valves is too much. You will empty the RO chamber by the time you reach the top float.

I prefer the floats to be close to each other. Must take less than a minute to fill from lower one to the top switch. Multiple small topups during the day is better than one or two big ones.

Thanks for the feedback Guys, I will move the switch to below the pipe support and swing them at 180 degrees to each other in order to get them closer together.

those switches often leak electricity, make sure you only have max 12V going through them, looks good otherwise.

If I can only run 12V through them I am going to need some help, I was planning on connecting to the top up pump. How do I use a 12V system and a 230V pump.

That would solve the top up pump, but I was also going to introduce a cut-off switch in case the water level in the sump got too high, so I would still like to know how to do it.

Having been to my local electrical store, they can supply me with a 12V relay, however to run the top up pump circuit and the cut-off circuit I will need two relay systems at about R50 a system. The price I can live with if that is the best I can get, but the size of the two units and what to put them in make them unfavorable for me to use. Ideally I am looking for something the size of the link that Express Reef posted. Does anyone know where I can get the necessary hardware.

For the top up pump I agree, but I was going to put a third float switch to turn off the return pump in the event of the sump filling beyond a certain level. It may be an overkill, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom