Another backup question

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by mariusmeyer, 15 Jan 2010.

1. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Would it be sufficient if I ran 1 airstone in the main tank with a powerhead to circulate the water and another airstone and powerhead above the DSB? Could the system run for say 12 hours with just the flow pumps and airstones? I would only run this for when I am on holiday. For normal powercuts I will run my return pump off it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Should be fine in the main tank, but for the sump I would run it differently. Put a pump in the return chamber and attach a pipe so that it pumps water to the first chamber, that way your whole sump will be circulating and not just the DSB. How long will you be running it like this for? How are you going to maintain temperature?

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

If you just had the return running, wouldn't there be flow in the sump via the overflow etc. ?

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

your battery may run longer with just the return pump and 2 air stones

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer Thread Starter

Well I worked it out. My return is 145W so the inverter will cut out after 6 hours. Yes this is a long time for a power outage but I have my reasons.

While away on holiday now, our power went out at 10:30 at night due to a storm. Needless to say the tank was dead after 2 weeks without power. I have a system in place now that will notify me in the event of a power failure so that I can get someone to check it out for me. But I cant quite expect my dad or whoever to go to my house at that time in the night. So that is why I want to mazimize the time in case this happens again. So that would mean that I need at least 12 hours out of the batteries. The temperature is not that big of a problem as the display is 580L and the sump will be in the region of 160L. I just want to ensure that everything has oxygen that needs it until I can get solmeone to check out the issue for me.

I am planning on upgrading my return to a lower wattage one that will give me 15hours but that will only happen in the future.

7. viper357

Sounds good, you can get some very low wattage pumps for the display, such as Tunze nano streams or the cheaper sunsun pumps and then one of the low wattage newjet pumps for the sump then you should be fine.

8. mariusmeyer

Another question.

I got myself a pure sine inverter, deep cycle battery and 3 stage charger a while back. The charger is permanantly connected to the battery and so is the inverter. Both the positive lugs(charger and inverter) on the positive battery terminal and same for the negative.

Now the question. My return is 145W which means that it will draw around 14Amps from the battery after efficiency ratios when the power fails. But when the power is one, does this mean that the pump draws 14Amps from the battery or does it get its supply from the charger? And if it gets its supply from the charger, does the battery still get enough current to charge once it has drained?

9. mariusmeyer

Any thoughts on my configuration?

10. mariusmeyer

Well I got my answer. I hooked everything up and plugged the return into the inverter. The battery voltage dropped from 12.4V to 11.36V over a period of 6 hours. So I guess the inverter drains the battery faster than what the charger can charge.

11. viper357

lol Marius, you having fun talking to yourself? :p

What if you get a bigger or faster charger, will that maybe help? You can get something like 4amp or 6amp chargers so I would assume a bigger charger will charge the battery faster?

Recent Posts