Another algae question

Reaction score
Yup another question about algae, but I am stumped. So I had to reboot my TL550 because didn't matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of the gha that took over my tank. So I chucked out the rock ran my tank for a few days in a vinegar solution and then rinced it well. Got new cured rock and started again beginning of April. With the new tank I got a new nuvo reactor which I have filling with bio pellets. I'm also running matrix and purigen. So first chamber filter wool, sponge and heater. Second chamber tunze 9004 skimmer. third chamber reactor, purigen and matrix. Last chamber return.

Now it seems I have algae again that I can't get rid of. I have attached a couple of pics of the stuff I am dealing with
8bb8163ff379b0c14f9c01f976ddeaba.jpg

Looks like gha

1b2fef8b2868b9475c85d1fd83274895.jpg

No idea what this is but it looks like little tufts of fur over the rock

So I thought it might be my RO water, that's measuring at 0.03 TDS. And my last parameters check was good besides for the alkalinity which is low. So my parameters where yesterday:

Ammonia: 0.00ppm
Nitrite: 0.00ppm
Phosphate: 0.00ppm
Nitrate: 0.00ppm
Calcium: 420ppm
Alkalinity: 6dkh
Magnesium: 1300ppm
Salinity: 1.025 d SG
Ph: 8.4
Temp: 25

I am using red sea test kits and dosing red sea reef foundation B to get the alkalinity up.

I want to get my parameters right and the algae gone before I stock. I had a small diatoms bloom but it passed. But this current algae just won't go away.

I have no idea what to try any more. I am dieing to start stocking but I want to get the tank right first. Any ideas guys? Any help? I am still a relative noob so maybe I am missing something?

Howzit man
Is it the same rocks from your first tank (the ones that were covered with algae before)
If you only have rocks in at this stage then you should leave your lights off for about 4 days that should
Kill off the gha , then I'm not sure on what clean up crew you have but I would suggest adding a few snails
To keep the rocks clean.
You could also look at increasing the flow in your tank and adding a fish known for grazing perhaps a cole tang would do the trick. Allow your slimmer to skim wet for a few days just to get the water super clean aswell and perhaps run soe carbon aswell.
Was that live rock wen you added it to your tank or just dry rocks?
Cheers wes

Is the algae on the old or new rock?

Please briefly explain the vinegar treatment you did.
I am using new rock. It was cured rock similar to real reef.

I ran the tank for a day with 10 part water 1 part vinegar. I them empty the tank then ran it for a day with normal tap water. After which I emptied it again and filled it again with tap water then emptied it and filled it with RO and salt to start the cycle

Last edited:
I would put off lights for couple of days then only start with 6 hours and slowly increase over a 2 week period. And get some snail as soon as you start lighting again..

Maybe add activated carbon to

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help. I will switch off the light for a few days hopefully that will help. It's running new rocks I couldn't put the old rocks I had to Chuck them they were so full of algae they had gone from purple to green, seriously you cant actually see the rock any more

Oh yes i forgot to mention, I have added a second Mp10 to the tank and i am running them at about 80% at the moment. Seeing the flow will help

Last edited:
It was real reef rock. Wasn't the rock I am sure of that before the restart. I think it found its way into the tank by me over dosing no pox and once it took hold I could not get rid of it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom