annual mauritius trip 2010

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by TheWaterboy, 13 Apr 2010.

1. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

okay.....well i arrived on sunday night and its only been 2 days and things already been buzzing.
    we chartered a deep see fishing boat with some friends and 1 hour in the fight began......
    unfortunatly this baby did not bite my line, but i did spend at least 45 minutes helping reeling her in........out of the nearly 2 hour ordeal......phew!!!
    i thought this would be some sort of record but when we arrived on the jetty we were shown pictures of one double the size......over 1100lbs!!!!
    anyway.....this baby was big enough....260kg (580 lbs)

today im off to do some diving will update todays diving and reef fishing pics later this evening

but for now check these out :1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this evening i will be meeting with sagar (mauritius aquarist) and will be installing a r.o buy his store........
    so as you all can see the first few days of our 3.5 week trip has already been awesome, busy, relaxing aswell as productive.
    i meet with a company it port louis next week tuesday who i will be going into bussiness with to launch our water purification range around the amazing island of mauritius.

watch this space for more pics of our journey:yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shane

shane

Look fantastic Marco,
    You luck bugger.
    Where about are you in mauritius?
    Cheers

4. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Thread Starter Sponsor

we in grand baie / point aux cannonier.
    met with sagar (mauritius aquarist) today.
    took some pics of his store / holding facility
    very nice guy who will definatly take the hobby / trade further in mauritius.
    oh and just for the record.......he has about 15 gems in stock.......;)
    i have delt with gemmatums and monitored there capture rates and sales for years and can honesty say i have never seen so many gemmatums in one holding facility.
    great to see variety of juviniles and adults in abundance like that.
    maybe it will help curb the craze for them as price of gems has just become ridiculous over the past 2 years. it seems they are definatly around and well at the momment, and hopefully stock levels are increasing.
    i believe that some people have tried to tie his hands and secure his services, so id suggest people / companies who retail fish contact him and offer him proper bussines incentives than to just try get him to cut the rest of the market out in s.a.
    he is a young guy who if givin the chance can give himself and his family a much better lifestyle if proper bussiness ventures and partnerships are made.
    id suggest market players unite and help his bussiness expand by networking around s.a, instead if one company trying the monoploy game. think about this dudes future and not your bottom line.
    id suggest idol marine , aquaculture, petstop , dorys and possibly julies in durban and someone in the eastern cape etc etc , get hold of sagar and help this dude grow his bussiness.

other specimens scene there today include goldies, variety of pygmy angels, , wrasse's, tangs etc etc
    saw the healthiest little naso i've ever scene.
    all livestock very healthy as the dude takes pride in what he does.

this young guy is has knowledge and is as eager as i've ever scene someone in this hobby wanting to succeed.
    i had the pleasure of meeting and be-friending him and his family and will be intalling a r.o. unit at his store tommorrow.

pics to follow shortly.

also dived at mon choisy outer reef today.....water dirty and sea rough......caught 5 calamari , fishing with handline off the boat.

no underwater pics today as water dirty......will try again thursday

busy uploading pics from sagars store , watch this space in an hour or so

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Awesome stuff Marco! I got back from Saudi the same day you left. Hows the new rod and reel?

6. TheWaterboy

hey mekaeel, wish you were here.........he he.......you were supposed to be here:)

yip, air mauritius lost my rod, but delivered it it to my door a few hours later.......so stoked......lucky the reel was [packed seperate in my carry bag......hehe

here the pics from mauritius aquarists place i promised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more comming

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Awesome pics buddy.... I heard of different time zones but didn't think Mauritius was so far behind.....:razz:

8. TheWaterboy

sagar at work[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more comming

Last edited: 14 Apr 2010
  9. TheWaterboy

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

thata it for today.......will keep posting pics as we go along here;)

10. Monti

Monti

Marco you b@st@rd- making people jealous is not nice

11. TheWaterboy

weather was overcast today so spent the day with family in the shops, but before that went to see sagar and installed the first marine r.o.unit in mauritius:thumbup: at his place

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Brandon WJ

Brandon WJ

hey Marco, wow!!!!
    please bring me a Gem back

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

fantastic stuff marco, hope the guys team together for this guy

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Super fantastic, Marco! Many thanks for sharing with us! Looks like a great oke, Sagar!

15. TheWaterboy

been diving like mad here......i reccon i've inhailed so much sea air that i might become a fish....lol
    its a mission here to download, shrink, resize, upload pics here so i will just keep the pics comming at a slow rate to keep appetites hungry and will post the best of the already 700 pics when i get back.

here some okay ones for now

[​IMG]

chromis at play at flic en flac

[​IMG]
    clam ontop of porites coral at 2 meters depth at flic en flac

[​IMG]
    a clam in about 1 meter of water in the shallows close to a cove where the current has pushed all the broken of pieces of coral from the hurricanes, as you can see by the small "frag" of blue tip acropora.....amongst all the broken bits......still lie healthy frags.......its a pitty nothing can be done in order to collect and cultivate them and return healthy colonies to the sea.......
    the reef is in outstanding shape with plenty life, as you will see in other pics later

[​IMG]

reeling in a bonito caught with a rapala.......a few minutes later i sent it out as live bait on another rod.......got smashed buy a sailfin 2 minutes later...........reel stripped!

[​IMG]

its the third year n a row now at differant locations around mauritius that i find adult and juvinille emporers underneath porites corals hosting with big eye red fish....both in juvinille and adult phases......this one was 3 meters at flic en flac

[​IMG]

thse file fish are found on nearly every healthy colonie of coral , they are normally in pairs........2 meters of water
    [​IMG]

my wife coral sea dreaming amongs endless fields of plating corals and montipora colonies at one of mauritius's prestine snorkel destinations......flat island

[​IMG]
    some mauritian live rock found right on the shore on the beach near le meridian and le victoria hotels......took a snap shot before swinning 200 meters out to the reef for what was a plesant snorkel

[​IMG]

stoked after what i saw at flat / gabriel island

[​IMG]

spending some time looking for fish amongst the plating and monti corals on flat island

[​IMG]
    surgeon fish patroling there territory

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

You should be banned .... Making us want to leave work and beg borrow or steal to join you there .... awesome pics .....

17. maj

maj

damn....u living the life marco!!
    I did some snorkeling recently in Thailand and it was nice,but comes nowher close to these pics

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Very nice pics Marco, thanks for sharing :)

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Fantastic! Many thanks for the pics, Marco! And much appreciation for taking the time to post them for us!

20. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Top stuff Marco! Wish I was there now :(

21. Slummies

Slummies

eish wow!!! Marco - Get hold of Mike Gregarates. his based in the EC and has a petshop. i think you know him. he will be keen for some dotts

Recent Posts