Annoyingly reefing

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Annoying, 7 Apr 2012.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey

I knew it, I just knew it, I couldn't stay away from you guys:lol:. Ok I don't know if you guys read but my previous setup is finally shut down and almost everything is sold. I thaught I could stay away from this site until I settle in PE next year but that's just to long! When I went to give in all my livestock my lps (the few that remained after the floods) he gave me the choice between very little cash or a nice big number of shop credit (guess what I took:whistling:) . Now I'm waiting for a new Boyu tl550 for me to take with me to PE:yeahdude:. This is the newer one with the improved skimmer.

Ok so now I need your help. The tank should come in the next few weeks and the great advantage I have for the entire year is to upgrade and modify the tank to fit my requirements. I would especially like replies from current tl550 owners @mandarinman @Mc and I think you also have a Boyu @belindamotion. What would you recommend I upgrade?

My plan:
    • It has to be simple to maintain if I need someone to look after the tank when I'm gone for a couple of weeks.
    • Going to be mixed reef system, mainly a few LPS some SPS and some softies.
    • Not a big fish bioload but would like to keep a flame angel.
    • Light hungry corals will be kept as near as possible to the light (SPS top, LPS mid and zoa's and shrooms everywhere:yeahdude:
    • Want to run the stock lighting and add LED lighting extra.
    • Adding sun sun flow pumps for more flow
    Also I would really appreciate it if you could post some ideas of scaping as I am new at such a small space to scape

Thanks everyone:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You'r back...:thumbup:..I've got the TL-450..:(..one thing I have to say is that the LED Unit should be considered 1st, IMHO..the heat that's under the Hood is just plain wicked...!!! I think @Len has a TL-550L..and @Charl_Stanhope

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Unfortunetley they already ordered the units with dual high output T5's. This should be enough for softies and some of the LPS but I will need a boost to keep some of the easier sps

5. Mc

Mc

You know its impossible to stay away unless you go to rehab.:lol:

I think the lighting is one of the weaknesses of these tanks specially if like you say you plan to keep higher light coral. I like the option of ordering 3w leds and drivers and then putting those into the hood.
    I took out one of my flourescents and added 20 leds but it all depends on how much you want to spend on the lighting if I had to do it over I would have probably taken out both the flourescents.
    One thing I found a bit of a challenge was fiting them into the hood. I got mine from here http://www.aquastyleonline.com/categories/DIY-LED-Lighting/ but there are also a lot of suppliers on ebay.
    Another thing to consider if upgrading the lighting is to add 2 fans one blowing in and one blowing out of the hood to keep it cool, this helped me a lot.

As for the sunsun pumps I can't really say Im too happy with it at the moment, as while I was away on holiday its suction cups failed and my tank was a bit of a mess when I got back, but I can say it has never given me any other problems.
    If you want cheaper pumps that are a bit better you should try look at the hydor korilias Price for hydor koralias - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    or the seios as both have magnet mounts.

I would also upgrade the skimmer Im not sure with what as my skimmer, the skimz hs1 took a bit of modifying to fit in that was quite tricky.

You want to try and create some kind of a cave structure with the live rock if you are going for the flame angel as mine spend most its time swimming in and out of my cave, they really seem to like that. I would warn you it might nip but Im sure you know that.;)

In the back I would reccomend at least putting in some phosgaurd and purigen or chemipure, and if you are willing to put a light in the back maybe even some cheato.

I hope this tank works out well for you, I am really enjoying mine.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

circulation pumps, go for Seio Props. They have magnets. Less flow than the SunSun, but comes with magnets. Yeah. The 1200L/h is about R230, depending on where you buy it. The 2000L/h for just under R300

nothing wrong with a softy dominated system. Check out the nice zoa colonies thats around. And check out Rakabos zoa garden.

mandarinman likes this.
  7. 2balive

2balive

Welcome back.

I run the HS60, it is a 550 with a 150w MH (and a big chiller added).

Take a look at the start of my thread, I used acrylic rods to get the LR off the substrate and also allowed me to stack it quite high and vertical.

Placed a "media rack" in the back to run lots of chemical filtration. Agree with @RiaanP on the Sieo vs SunSun, but think the small non controllable Tunze is better.

Will definitely add a regugium/cheato area.

8. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. For the sun sun's you also get the magnet holders for them and they can be bought separatley. I thought I would get some ( I also had the problem of one of them falling of). I don't like the idea of a refugium at the back, just how I feel that the limited space won't give me such an effective biological filtration as what I want. Will rather run some phosphate removers and carbon to help with all those stuff. Will also keep some of the mechanical filtration to trap detritus that I will replace weekly. Thanks @Mc about the flame, I love caves in a tank and now I know they do to:)

9. Mc

Mc

Cool man keep us up to date and post some pics when it gets started.:thumbup:

10. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks I will, starting is going to take some time will only have settled in PE in mid January so that's when the tank will get wet. Owh wanted to ask you, is the built in fans not enough for the stock lights and LED's?

Last edited: 7 Apr 2012
  11. Mc

Mc

I think the stock fan is ok for the led but the problem is it doesn't run in the tank and thast why the water heats up, so you need a fan to blow the hot air away from the top of the water.

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Owh I understand ,another mod I'll have to make. Can't wait for the tank to come so that I can do an intense inspection on all it's hardware:yeahdude:

13. Mc

Mc

The one thing I found with adding fans is it increases the evaporation by a huge ammount, so an ato is also advisable.

14. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Will keep that in mind, maybe try a DIY unit, the main thing is I want to keep the tank as neat and tidy as possible no random gadgets or hoods that don't fit totally so it will be a nice challenge.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

Thankfully the tl 450 and550 group has grown well so there are lots of really neat mods and advice flowing around.

16. Mc

Mc

I added my float switch to the back so you can't see it and it works perfectly like that, so it keeps things looking neat.

17. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ya I must say over the last few years these tanks have become more and more popular but I understand completely why. It's really a plug and play unit for the basic marine system.

Nice now that's the ideas I'm aming for:thumbup:

18. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ok another question. What is the actual size of the tl550? I see on the net that it's 510L x 570W x 670H(mm) but that gives 195 L and they say the tank is 128 L. I guess that means that either the sump takes up 67 Liters or that the height includes the hood. Could someone please give me more accurate info?

19. 2balive

2balive

The dimensions that they give is for the outside of the tank, including the good. I measured mine at water level and got just under 130l

Mc likes this.
  20. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ok so the tank 128L sump included? Can you maybe give me the width of the sump, just so that I know what is the actual tank size

21. 2balive

2balive

Bad news, they don't come with a sump, you will have to mod it to add a sump, there is some threads of guys that has done it on Masa.

Recent Posts