Angle Iron better than square tubing for stand?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Louis Scheepers, 19 Jul 2011.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Hi Hennie

I am planning a 600x600x550 tank. My sump will be bigger than the display tank, since I want to incorporate a dsb and top-up part.

I want to make the stand 900(l) x 800(w) x 800(h). A top (formica or something) will be placed on top of the stand, for the tank to stand on.

I have read somewhere (cant find it anywhere now) that angle iron is stronger than square tubing...? It should also be cheaper to galvanize.

I don't want a center leg, since I want to be able to work in the sump freely, so the question is:

1. Angle iron or square tubing?
    2. What wall thickness and width?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theo

Theo

Bro, rather go square tubing. It just makes sense that 4 areas is better than 2 to carry the weight. If you want you can get 5mm flat sheet and a triangular support strut in each corner. Also would get nice thick tubing for the frame(will make you sleep nicer at night...) With that dimensions I would go for the 30-35mm with wall thickness of 2.3-2.6mm wall thickness...
    But lets see what the other reefers think...

Last edited: 20 Jul 2011
    Louis Scheepers likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony

Square tubing if definately stronger. Go as thick as you can afford even if its 40-50mm bar which is overkill but it's solid, and dont use formica or any wood between the tank and stand as it will eventually rot from water splashes and spills. Use a polystyrene sheet which wont rot or corrode in fact polystyrene just about lasts forever in landfill sites

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Actually
    Angle iron is stronger.

Hot rolled VS cold rolled.

Square is actually flat plate that is bend into tube and down the one side you will see a weld line

Angle iron is cold roller. 3mm for example is a LOT thinker in the corner than the corners on square tubing.

Ask @Nemos Janitor what they use on really big tanks.

Also easier to galvanize or powder coat angle iron.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also look at roof structures if warehouses and shops. They use angle iron
    High power lines. Angle iron

7. Elrond

Elrond

Being a total expert in this field (having welded a total of 2 things in my entire life - both my marine tank stands) I'd suggest that working with the square tube is easier if you have limited tools. I simply had the factory cut the lengths to size and could go straight to the welding. With the angle-iron you'd need to cut a few angles, which unless you have the right tools, in my MASSIVE experience, is tricky!

Depends on how much you're doing yourself, what tools you have and how brave you are. Both will clearly work...

40mm should be more than enough...

Since any thread is useless without pictures :p

My Old:

[​IMG]

My new:

[​IMG]

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I used both
    50mm square tubing 3mm wall thickness. Before powerdercoat. Corners reinforced with 150mm squares plates cut into triangles, 5mm thick
    [​IMG]

50mm Angle Iron, 3mm wall as well. Painted with Hammerrite. Corners reinforced with 20mm square tubing offcuts.
    [​IMG]

if you want the square tube open ends to be hidden, then square tubing is not that easy. Also ends up with 45 degree cuts into the corners.

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

In my opinion, angle iron will be better, and easier to work with - that's why I used it on my stand :whistling:

The wall thickness of square tubing is usually between 1mm and 2mm, thus a maximum of 2mm - 4mm total "load bearing" vertical thickness. A 5mm thick angle iron, vertical "load bearing" thickness will be a minimum of 5mm (thicker in the corner). as previously stated, constructibility is also important - and the thicker metal of angle iron makes it much easier to weld if you're not a pro. Lastly, one can buy angle iron with "unequal sides" - I used a 75mm x 50mm x 6mm angle iron for my 1.8m tank (over kill for your tank size, though...). I would suggest that you contact your steal merchant and find out what standard sizes are available somewhere around 50mm x 30mm, or 60mm x 50mm in 3mm to 4mm thickness. Use the larger dimension in the vertical position

I agree to not use any pressed wood, chipboard, or other "man-made" wood, except for marine ply - IMHO that would be your best bet, and it works quite easily.

Hennie

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And do not use polystyrene, rather go for closed cell foam. Black.
    Will not break out like polystyrene. Will not go dirty.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I want to make the stand 900(l) x 800(w) x 800(h). A top (formica or something) will be placed on top of the stand, for the tank to stand on.

hell oke, while not all bad advice privided i think alot of the guys are over engeneering the stand, sure it must be strong but it must also be practical and AFFORDABLE...

38 x 38 square tube OR angle Iron will never buckle under a 198lt tank as suggested above..

all im saying is keep it simple and cost effective..

Oh and remember that galvanising is nice to have but its a sacrifitial coating so Should be painted aswell.. or you get white rust instead of red ;)

if you decide to go the painting route its a story of its own, i will elaborate if need be...

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Have to agree here, i have my 2.3m on 40x40 angle iron, no problems.

13. shiks

shiks

My vote is angle iron.....has anybody ever noticed the really small holes drilled in when they send off for galvanising???

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip, I know.
    I had comments on both those stands I made. Both times about not being strong enough.
    First stand is for a 750L, 1.7 *.75 by .8 high stand. "Needed" extra legs in the middle.
    Second stand is for a 350L 1.5*.5 by 1m high stand. Again the span was questioned. But with 50mm 3mm angle iron?

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I wasnt referring to your stands Riaan, i was referering to the stand needed to hold louis 198lt (at a push 300kg) tank full with LR and equipment..

there is nothing wrong with being passionate about something but overspecing it to the degree where it is no longer viable to build cost effectivley is crazy.

a spade is a spade.. it digs holes if it were mild steel/ silver or platinum it does no benefit to the hole but yields the same result..

on bigger tanks by all means go overspec but for this project i would go strong and (within reason) and be meticulious to corrosion protection..

simple;)

16. Yuri

Yuri

Squire tubing just look better to me that is why I use it

17. Jeann1

Jeann1

+1 Leslie.

I used 50 mm square tubing 2.3 mm wall on my 1000l + tank - could have gone 3 or even 4 mm , but no need to do so.

On the previous tank it was angle iron - same idea..

Personally I think the way the stand is built is the bigger issue - if you used solid blocks of steel, and the welding was not done right, it wouldn't be strong.

On Angle Iron, welding is easier as you cant really "burn through" the material , with square tubing, ideally you would want to use a CO2 welder, as the penetration( via amps used ) can be set, and solid welds can be made.

Also, if you powder coat, your welds on square tubing needs to be almost perfect, as the sandblasting before coating can easily open up any flaws in the welding.

I'd say, dont worry to much about what material u use, both seem to be strong enough, worry more about who builds it, and how the welding is done.

Eg of my stand

[​IMG]

18. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

Wow.. This thread went from short to long in a very short time!! Thanks for all the comments guys!! :thumbup:

19. Louis Scheepers

I'm not the best welder myself... but there is someone in my church that offered to help me!! :yeahdude: He has all the tools and stuff, so no problem what I go with!

20. Louis Scheepers

Thanks Hennie.

I will go find out what steel is available!

Since the top of the stand will be bigger than the tank, it should be something that looks good! Is there something else that I can use (granite will be too expensive I think...)

21. Louis Scheepers

If I can get black foam it would be great, I hate the ugly white polystyrene under the tank! Where can I get black closed cell foam?

Recent Posts