angels

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by faizaandock, 16 Apr 2016.

1. faizaandock

faizaandock

hi I have a adult blue ring angel and want to add a adult emperor read that the blue ring is very aggressive so not sure if I must add emperor
    any advice or experience with keeping both?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

What size tank? I would consider a small juvenile emperor perhaps, I added one to my bigger Chrysurus and it doesn't pay much attention to the emperor. Just add any new one in a perspex box in tank first and see aggression of blue ring towards emperor before they can actually get to each other. And if aggression is still an issue, perhaps swap them for a week with blue ring in box and emperor in tank while emperor settles. I did this with an established Yellow Tang that almost killed my new copperband, now they coexist peacefully.

A mirror next to tank might also distract blue ring while emperor settles.

4. faizaandock

faizaandock Thread Starter

ok will try that it is a 700 litre tank

Last edited: 16 Apr 2016
  5. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

With Angels it can be hit and miss and mostly miss. Usually when introduce multiple Angels, it is better to add them as juveniles at all at once but usually that only lasts for a couple of months then the bullying begins anyway. You can try what @hotdog83 suggested and if it doesn't work then you can sell/swop the Angel but I think it will be unnecessary stress for your tank mates and your Angels. Also a 700l tank for 2 large breed Angels is a bit small, even with dwarf Angels it will be a challenge.

6. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Up to a point it is a challenge, my 700 liter has 8 or 9 angels I think, but only the two Pomacanthus. Not much aggression, worst is the bigger of the two regal angels towards the other fish during feeding time. But upgrading to a 2000 liter in a few months.

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I assume they were mostly introduced as juveniles? I had 3 in my 3m tank I had to sump one eventually (pygmy angel, feisty little buggers). I think my problem was that 2 were already about 150mm in size when I introduced them (separately on different occasions). Also looking at species and amount of hiding space can also affect behaviour. I love angels and wish I could have a tank only with them in but I am cautious around them.

8. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Cool, yes, most introduced as juveniles/smallish. Have the following:

Apolemichthys kingi
    Centropyge multispinnis
    Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus
    Genicanthus bellus
    Genicanthus watanabei
    Pomacanthus chrysurus
    Pomacanthus imperator
    Pygoplites diacanthus x2

Recent Posts