Angel not eating

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Undergravel, 25 Jul 2010.

1. Undergravel

Undergravel

Hi.I was given a small Blue Lipped flag fin angel.Holocanthus Trimaculatus I believe.The shop I got him from said if I can get him to feed and survive I can pay.He is fairly alert,not yet skinny and emaciated.He didn't get bullied in my tank apart from some side swipes from my flame angel.The only symptom of something wrong apart from not eating is he hans in one corner all day.Any advise on what could be wrong or what may tempt it to feed?I thought he may feel better in a more natural system.Perhaps he was handle badly and never recover.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

How long have you had him? These fish are generally shy at first. Monitor him, he should be grazing and pecking on the rocks soon. I wouldnt be too stressed if he isnt eating food you put into the tank as yet.

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

Maybe try tying nori or some sea weed to a small rock using an elastic band and putting it in the corner the fish likes swimming. It usually takes a while before fish start eating off of a clip.

5. Trev

Trev

I have enough experiance with this family of angel to tell you that if you have only had him for between 1 and 5 days this behaviour is very normal indeed but I have found that a fresh opened mussel will be extreemely enticing for him not a boiled one or frozen it must be fresh and opened I normaly only put inn 1 half but if you have other fish in the tank that will eat the mussel then the effort is worthless as he will not ba at a stage were chasing others away is possible. The best will be to settup a small 2 or 3 foot tank with a heater and some oxygen be it a airstone or a small powerhead with ventury then you can monitor himmore acurately, I have also found that to put a sheet or towel around the this tank for the first 3 days really helps with getting them destressed quick if you go this route make sure you do fresh water changes in the region of 75% volume daily.

This sure is an awsome fish I was very tempted the other day to grab one

Trev

6. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

The one in Hillcrest for R450?

Last edited: 25 Jul 2010
  7. Undergravel

Undergravel Thread Starter

Thanks.I believe it has been at the shop for a few weeks.They have given up hope.Yes, it's the one from Hillcrest.He did show exitement with nori but to clip a piece in my tank is not on.I tried but my tangs are way greedy.The fish simply hovers in one corner.I think it's been handled poorly during shipping or collection and has nervous system damage.I have yet to lose a fish from Hillcrest Pets in 4 years.So I don't think it was harmed there.I will persevere.It will be a shame if he doesn't make it.I will leave it in the tank as I am hoping he will pick on some soft coral.

8. Achilles

Achilles

if he is hanging in a corner that is a poor sign if he has been like this for a few weeks even worse , the prognosis is not good but make sure your water quality in the tank is the best it can be

9. Undergravel

Undergravel Thread Starter

Unfortunately it looks as though he is done.Just hanging staring at the floor.Sad waste.

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

So sorry Undergravel .... chin up dude .... Never nice to lose a tankmate

Recent Posts