Angel Bubble

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Hannesco, 20 Nov 2011.

1. Hannesco

Hannesco Hannes

Can anybody please help to identify this?

Yesterday it was only red around the place where this "Bubble" came out. It looks like aBubble but I can also see some vanes in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

interesting...

@Achilles can maybe assist us here?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

tagging

5. Achilles

Achilles

I have seen these bubbles of tissue before on my queen angel they come and go and seem to be part of the inside lining mouth/jaw of the Angel they get it after they eat, mine however where not red but clear so you may be dealing with an allergy or infection.

I cant say what causes this it doesnt happen on all Angels but i have seen it on my Queen , it doesnt appear dangerous however your one is red so it may be more serious, i would suggest if it doesnt go away in 2 days to dose some epsom salt to the aquarium, that may help as it reduces swelling on popeye and constipation.

Looking at the picture the redness seems to be more from blood in the tissues than an infection , i still think it will go away by itself but if not try the epsom salt, the bubbles can appear on both sides of the mouth or just one side is your only on the one side?

Last edited: 21 Nov 2011
  6. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

I am not sure what caused the condition, but there may be a bacterial infection associated with it. There are high concentrations of waterborne bacteria in most aquariums. These guys take advantage of less than ideal environmental conditions in the tank and establish themselves when the fish is debilitated, or physically injured. I would treat with a high quality antibiotic (as per instructions - some destroy your beneficial bacteria, which is not good). Watch that other fish don't bother the fish and try to feed vitamin enriched food, if possible. I may be completely wrong, but I don't think epsom salt is the answer, or certainly not alone. Good luck with the fish. It looks like a lovely specimen.

7. SteveZi

SteveZi

I'm going to say it... mouth haemorrhoid:blush:

8. Achilles

Achilles

Stevezi I would agree with that!

9. Hannesco

Hannesco Thread Starter Hannes

Gentleman

Thanks for the advice, this morning, I could see it's much smaller than yesterday. When I got home this afternoon it's nearly gone, but still red around the area. I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the advice.

10. Achilles

Achilles

Yes as i pointed out they come and go usually just after they have eaten, they should go away on their own , i am glad it is getting smaller

11. Achilles

Achilles

i suspect that when angelfish sometimes extend their mouths and trap this tissue(maybe due to food) which becomes swollen a bit like a haemmorrhoid, in this picture below you can see the tissue area , i am talking about

[​IMG]

12. Hannesco

Thanks Achilles

I also thing he must have damage the tissue due to food, because when at come feeding time he is the most aggressive one in the tank from flakes to nori.

13. SteveZi

SteveZi

Hannes, its not really damage as a result of the food - as Achilles pointed out, when the fish opens its mouth, there is soft thin tissue that connects the jaws with the head (more noticable in predators like bass) anyway, some of the soft tissue inside the mouth bulges out outwords ( like taking too big a mouthful) and this tissue gets trapped between the harder parts of the jaw. it may be a small bit, but it may become inflamed, or blood cannot escape and it gets swollen (refer to pictures).
    By the way, your photos are very good and the reason for making a fairly good "clinical diagnosis".

14. Hannesco

SteveZi, thanks for the info.

Recent Posts