Angel Behaviour Patterns

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by scubaninja, 24 Jan 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi guys, been watching my angels behaviour over the past few days, and combining what i've seen in other tanks with what i know and read i was thinking we could start a thread on Angels to give a general idea with what to expect with angels from experience that members have had, to make a Proudly MASA guide to angels;) I only have dwarf angels and i'm sure that not every angel is the same but a guide is better than not knowing what to expect at all.

Angels need crevices and caves to hide in and establish territories over and i have made a lot of them in my tank. Of the angels i've seen in other tanks they dart in and out of the caves and clean off the rocks and things. My angels dont really stay in the caves, they spend 80% of the time out and swimming about finding food. So what i want to know from your experiences, how much do your angels spend out of their hiding places, what angels they are, and if your other inmates chase them or just ignore them. it may give an idea as to whether or not that makes them prone to seeking shelter.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lindsay pollard

lindsay pollard pipefish

i had a jumping bean and he used to love going in and out of crevises,but he was quite an agro fella chasing my other fish around,then tragedy struck,he simply stoped eating and i tried everything possible but he died,ill def.get another thats my input

4. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

Yes my jumping bean is a bit of a terror, but nobody takes notice of him and handle their own and he moves about the most, in terms of just swimming. I havent seen one bit of actual fighting at all. luckily

5. flappy

flappy

I have an adult Emperor Angel that is 25cm long and been with me for about 9 years.
    He is the undesputed king of the tank,dominant over everything.
    He tends to grunt a great deal esp when challanging another fish for his territory or during feeding.
    His grunts can be heard on the other side of the house at night.
    By far my best fish.
    Spends all his time cruizing the tank,almost never hiding in caves.The adult colours are stunning.

6. scubaninja

Wow flappy could you post a picture of it? Does it hide ever? as much as the dwarfs do? do you have any other angels? grunting from a fish is totally new to me, cool.

7. crispin

crispin

scuba i think its a good idea to start a section on each group of fish as in the families, but dwarf angels and full angels should probably be kept in seperate sections as they are rather different, but then perhaps each fish should be taken on its own merit.

Viper, perhaps we can take the data base for id purposes and add general characteristics to each fish, build on it so that we have the basics on each fish in our id base?

as to the dwarf angels, i had a number and had no issues at all so long as you have sufficient space and they are well fed. I also found it greatly to my advantage to have them in the tank a while before adding sps so that they were settled and feeding on everything else BUT the sps:) but then again i only added sps to see if they would eat them or if the fish were relativley reef safe, although thats a very loose term. If you are an sps lover then i would not suggest ading angels of any sort, large or dwarf especially in a maturing large system as they are impossible to catch if they do start to nip. I know of a number of systems where they are kept with sps (mekaeels jumps to mind) but that is a risk in my view, and if they go wrong, they go very wrong.

i must admit though dwarf angels and buttefly fishes are my favorite families of fish around, and I dont really care for sps so they can eat mine if they like:)

8. scubaninja

Crispin i thought of doing two threads for the angels but then i thought they were each individuals as you said. I think the angels are more into eating polyps etc off LPS and softies in comparison. Like the polyps of trumpet corals and clam mantles?

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have coral beauty and Red tripe, both are cave dwllers in my reef setup. No problem with other fish, other than any other Angels.

They are both pretty big, so difficult to introduce any other Angels.

So I have to wait for my Flame's day

Recent Posts