Anenome positioning

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by pictureit, 6 Sep 2010.

1. pictureit

pictureit

My Anemones are positioned in the crushed coral floor, next to the tank glass, how can i attach them to the live rock?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Anemones go where they want. Some species prefer the substrate, some prefer rocks. How long has your tank been running? What species is this anemone? What equipment do you have on the tank?

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi welcome to MASA, your nenny will position itself where it is most happy in your system. I hope you have your circulation pumps anemone proofed so they dont end up as soup.

5. pictureit

pictureit Thread Starter

My tanks been running for approx 2 months, bout 15kg live rock, i know its early for anenomes, but i was offered them at a really good price, too good to turn down, i've had them for 2 weeks, they are carpet anenomes and are feeding well. i have a boyu 550 130L,
    here are the specs.
    <LI class=text1>180 GPH flow rate <LI class=text1>Power protein skimmer - 8W 50-GPH <LI class=text1>Integraded 9W UV sterilizer Should i get any power heads for this nano tank?

6. SIMS

SIMS

eish thats a bad idea for many reasons - I would take them back to the LFS and demand your money back!

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  7. magman

magman

Or ask the guys to host them for you for a while, there is no such thing as a good buy in reefkeeping, unless it's hardware

8. pictureit

pictureit Thread Starter

If I ask the LFS to host them 4 me, when would be a good time to get them back? what indicators do I need to look 4, to have ideal conditions to get them back?

9. Anemone

Anemone

Two months is not long enough. Your tank needs to be stable. The general rule of thumb is to wait about one year before adding an anemone. If you are an experienced anemone keeper this can be shortened up a bit.

Although I’m not familiar with the boyu 550, I can assure you 130L of water volume is not the best option for carpet anemones.

You may also want to do a search on crushed coral as a substrate and read up on the issues that go along with it.

From your description, I have no idea what protein skimmer you are using, but based on the GPH that you listed it does not sound sufficient. A 180 GPH flow rate for the tank is not going to cut it either.

You also did not mention your lighting.

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

So... paying a bargain price for something that could (probably would) die within 6 months is "too good to turn down" - I don't think so :whistling:

I know this is harsh, but we're talking from experience (and your ultimate long-term success in mind) when we suggest that you have them hosted in a suitable setup until your tank has matured.

Two carpets in a nano tank is also not appropriate.

There are three species of "Carpet Anemones", and two of them naturally live in/on the substrate. It would be totally inappropriate to try to move them to the rocks, or to keep them in a tank with too thin (and too course) substrate. Please try and identify the actual species you have - perhaps post a photo or two.

Oh, where's my manners... WELCOME to MASA, and to this great hobby.

Hennie

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello And Welcome.

Multiple anemones in one tank, especially a small tank, is looking for trouble. They release chemicals and attach each other to fight them off. Unless they are sisters, like an anemone that split into two, or more. Then you can have them all up close and personal, no problem. But different species will have the chemical warfare going on. Even the same species but different DNA.

Carpets also needs stronger lights, like in metal halides normally. Bubble tips can be kept under T5 or PL tubes. I tried a rose bubble tip when I had about a year and halve experience. And it did not work out at all. He just moved into the shade and stayed there until it completely bleached and died. I believe my tank was stable, and I had enough experience to be able to keep it. Bummer. So yes I do admit to failure (sometimes).

If you only have one, then, maybe you can get away with only 130L water. Bigger tanks, and using Carbon to absorb the chemicals, then you can have more than one, and possibly more than one species.

12. pictureit

pictureit Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome.

I will post some pics.
    I have a boyu 308 skimmer and 2g11 2x24w PL lights 10,000K.

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome, you need to take all 3 of your anemone's back to the pet shop, also your mandarin fish, he needs a very mature and productive reef tank with approximately 30 to 40 kg's of live rock and a sufficient supply of live food, plenty of copepods, amphipods etc. in order to survive, otherwise he will slowly starve and die.

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Here's some reading for you on Mandarin fish so you can see how difficult these fish are to keep alive.

Caring for a Mandarin Goby

Recent Posts