Urgent help needed Anenome dissapearing after moving house

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Lisa, 19 Oct 2011.

1. Lisa

Lisa

I recently moved house(7th Oct). I paid well known chap to move my 260l tank for me. It was well worth it, no damage, no losses. However, my favourite poor nennie is just fading away, whilst everything else flourishes.

It's mint green with a pale pink base. It took a few days for it to settle into a spot. I have had it 3 years; I know that it was about 1 to 2 years old when I got it. It has a Maroon Clown "Tyson", who is being being rather rough with it trying to perk it up or something.

Since the move I have taken water samples regularly to more than one LFS(to check if the results are the same). All results are that everything is optimum. No problems.(my test kits are somewhere in the abyss of boxes from the move-I found some but decided to just go to the LFS instead of wasting time)

I have heard that nennies don't like being touched; so obviously the move etc would upset it for a few days, that was expected.

I have tried a variety of subtle differences in water current and temperature to try to stop it shrinking. It is eating, but its tenticles are pulling in towards its body and curling at the ends. It's looking a dirty shade in some areas. All the normal things just aren't working. I put a new bubble nennie in the tank about 6 weeks ago which after a week split and is doing really well(and so I have twins).

I am getting into a small panic; no visible damage and it is eating, but it is fading away. PLEASE any suggestions, I am at a loss.:(:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sergio

sergio

I had a similar problem a few days ago...is he back in the same place as he was before u moved?

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Well my guess would be elevated stress and aleopathy between anemones, are you running carbon?
    I would try and seperate the fish and anemone while its in distresss
    Atleast its eating

Keanan likes this.
  5. Keanan

Keanan 2time

That would be my guess too. The anemone is stressed and thus loosing the chemical warfare battle.

6. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

how would the nennies effect each other?

My partner just set up a Nano tank, but its only a week old, so I am concerned to move the nennie into it to be away from the others

What do you suggest

7. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot
    I am not running carbon. Do you think it might be worth my while setting up my external tetra .... canister

8. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

Sergio, yes he is back in almost the same spot

9. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

any suggestions on seperation in the tank? is there anything i can put around or over the nennie that anybody has tried? Plastic collander or something?

10. sergio

sergio

Do you not have a sump?

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

splitting isnt always a sign of good health. Anemones often split under stress conditions.

I agree with Dallas regarding aleaopathy, run some carbon and keep a close eye on the nennie. If it doesnt look better in the next day or two, maybe consider moving it to someone elses tank.

12. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

My tank is a Juwel - so no sump.

I will run the carbon and see what happens. Cross fingers.. thanks

13. Lisa

Lisa Thread Starter

any sugestions on how to cover/ protect the nennie. any home made gadget ideas?

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Chemical warfare. Sometimes when different anemones can sense each other in close proximity then they are known to release chemicals or compounds into the water to try and kill off their competitor, it is how they fight for survival. Most of the times this can be combatted by running very good quality Granular Activated Carbon which needs to be renewed weekly.

It may also be possible that during the move, when trying to remove the anemone, that it's foot was accidentally split/damaged, it is a common occurrence when moving anemone's and this can cause the anemone to die.

Recent Posts