Anemones ... high nitrate

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by badbiker, 13 Jul 2010.

1. badbiker

badbiker

From all the threads in most of the forum are mentioned that the anemones shall be kept in low nitrate and matured water. Last month I was monitoring 2 anemones from LFS. yesterday I bought both of them. So I thought I will test LFS’s water actually I was looking what nitrate level they maintain. so I did the test and the result was surprising >>>>>nitrate was 100mg/l <<<<<<<<
    [​IMG][/URL]
    My Q for Experts

How did anemones survived in very high nitrate water for more than 1 month and they are in good health ??

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

happy anemones

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hi badbiker, im no nennie expert and I am sure youll get better advice from others about this but please take into account that we (collective we) sugest what is best for nennies over a sustainable long term future, and that is definatley low nitrates and mature STABLE water parameters as you suggest from your readings.

how that LFS keeps there stock i have no idea, but i would hazard a guess that your readings COULD be misleading in that the nitrates may be elevated due to a number of reasons (new import with some fish dying, over feeding etc etc etc) and not the average that the water is kept at. certainly no3 readings that high are NOT good for nennies. also do remember that LFS normally cahnge large percentages of water monthly and reduce pollution that way, so i wouldnt read too much into that LFS's water, personally i would concerntrate on my own water more.

out of intrest why did you get both nennies when its fairly well reported that dissimilar (as in not clones of each other) nennies may lead to chemical warefare between the two. I think you would have been better off just getting one if you have a tank thats set up and ready for them.

best of luck with them though:)

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

Are you sure the first one is an anemone, it looks like a mushroom to me.

5. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

well its anemone

6. crispin

crispin

mouth is too big, id say its a BTA :) and a nice sized one too :)

7. SIMS

SIMS

I also thought BTA although I'm not 100% sure

8. Anemone

Anemone

Can we get a better pic of the first one? What lighting was this pic taken under? If the first one is a BTA it is not in good health.

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

I've had hairy mushrooms (Rhodactis spp.) that have big mouths like that. It looks really deflated if it is a BTA.

10. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

the pic was taken under 400w light and how its looks not in good health I see its happy when I kept it in the tank it was very small now its openand you can see the size its big and clown fish is happy with it

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010
  11. Anemone

Anemone

How long are the tentacles?

12. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Maybe we have all been fooled by LFS into buying extra equipment we do not really need. BIG CONSPIRACY TO TAKE OUR MONEY.

Although I am sure there is some scientific research showing low nitrates are a must. Are there any researchers out there to confirm?
    What is the Nitrate levels of NSW? Anyone testes recently?

Last edited: 14 Jul 2010
  13. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

Its around 2cm .and this guy loves dark places I kept him under 400w he was not happy ones i turn light off he started open but today morning when I switch on the light he jumped to dark area under rock and opened full any Idea???????Shall I move it or leave it ?????

14. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

you are right my tank water is 3 months old .but I m Maintaining nitrate blow 10mg/l.and anemones doing well no sign of sickness

15. Anemone

Anemone

The first pic that you posted of the anemone shows very short tentacles. The second pics shows a bit longer tentacles, but still not where it needs to be.

16. silverthorne

silverthorne

Isnt that first nem a carpet?

17. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Remember that anemones have a VERY SLOW digestive system. This also means that when they become sick and its visable...., its been sick for a very long time.., its just takes longer to show..

Nennies, clams and SPS corals needs to be housed in very stable, clean and low nutrient systems. Although the nennie might look healthy coming from a tank with HIGH nitrates, remember that it takes long to show that it unhappy. It might last a couple of months in a high nutrient system but WILL eventually fade away, either bleeching, or just becoming smaller and smaller until it stops eating and dies.

Bubble tip nennies are hardier than most other nennies and will take longer to show signs of sickness even when placed in high nutrient systems.. But remember..., nennies like and must be kept in low nutrient systems. This has been proven and researched extensively. They might "survive" in medium to high nutrient systems, but do you really just want your nennie to "survive", or flurish!!;)

Recent Posts