Anemones and Shrimp

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by scubaninja, 12 Aug 2009.

Voter count: 56
?

Have you kept Shrimp and Anemones together?

Poll closed 11 Sep 2009.
  1. Yes with no problem

62.5%
  2. Yes with problems

12.5%
  3. No

17.9%
  4. I would try it with caution

1.8%
  5. I wouldnt try it

5.4%
  6. I had problems only with certain species - Elaborate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi brenda, i was reading on another thread about a shrimp irritating an anemone. In future i want to keep both. Shrimp and the Anemone. An RBTA or a magnifica to be precise. I am thinking in terms of Cleaner shrimp, Peppermint shrimp and Boxer shrimp. I know of a couple of tanks where there are both in there with no problems, so i would like to know if there are any special cases or anything? how to possibly avoid the shrimp irritating the anemone when feeding?

For other people reading this who have anemones please help with the poll on your experiences

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

There is no guarantee when it comes to keeping shrimp with anemones. Some live peacefully, others do not. Its one of those things that you won't know until you try it. Unfortunately, this could injure the anemone, or the anemone may eat the shrimp. In my case, the anemone ate the shrimp.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

well, i guess i would try it, to see if there is that problem, and rather the anemone survives than the shrimp though, but i'll wait for the general consensus. thank you brenda :)

5. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

If the shrimp is just pestering the anemone for food you can try feeding the shrimp before feeding the anemone. You can also try placing a strawberry basket over the anemone while it eats, but again, this is no guarantee that it won't go digging in the anemones mouth hours later.

6. scubaninja

yeah i'm not happy about the shrimp climbing into the nennie:( not a fun idea

7. scubaninja

Bump

8. Sentari

Sentari

Interesting Thread! Tagging along

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Scuba. Thanks for this poll. :thumbup: The problem you read about is in my dad's tank. He asked me for advice but I had no idea. The issue with his setup is that he has a small tank (900x300x300 aprox) and the tentacles of the cleaner shrimp has about a 15cm span at least. So everywhere these tentacles touch (which is all over his tank) his corals are closing shut.

The other issue here is that the place where his RBTA decided to sit, is in the territory where the cleaner stays all the time. :p

Dad feeds the shrimp first, but the moment he feeds the nennie, the shrimps "takes" the food from it. Solution is to take the shrimp out right. He also has hermits causing havoc, as some of his polyps doesn't even really open.

So, according to Hennie (reefmaniac) and Brenda, it's best not to keep shrimp etc with soft corals, as they do harm them. The question we have now is, what do you replace the cleaner and hermits with if you look at their important job in the aquarium?

10. Falcon

Falcon

well i have a cleaner shrimp with my magnifica and had a pair previously for over year until the anemone became soup,the shrimp never bothered my anemone and the anemone never stung the shrimp the only problem i had was the clowns used to steal the anemones food so i had to chase them away until it swallowed the food.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

My skunk cleaner shrimps always ended up being stung to death, by my h. magnifica. No shrimp survives with my magnifica, unfortunately. :(

12. coral diver

coral diver

I have some peppermint, cleaner shrimp and a Rose BTA and hosting a pair of clown (false perc) and none of the other tank inhabitants can even get near them both clown chase them away.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  13. scubaninja

Thanks for voting in the poll guys, i see a couple of votes were made by guys who havent actually kept anemones though ;)

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

How do you know? I for one kept cleaner shrimps together with anemones long before I joined MASA in 2007...

15. scubaninja

i wasnt referring to you matey :) i know you kept one, you told me before :)

16. magman

magman

I have a cleaner shrimp that parks by the carpet, and does not bother or venture on top of it, the problem is when the other fish come for a tune up or service, they get too close. I watched the jumping bean last night nearly make contact with the carpet. It was very close, and I am a bit nervous of an accident. Slightly off topic, but another way that a shrimp/nennie combination can casue a problem.

17. S2

S2

Hey guys got a magnifica with 3 common clowns hosting in it and dont have a problem with the shrimp they dont go to close and i always feed them first a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp and a pair of boxer shrimp.

18. Seabass

Seabass

Have a bit of a problem when feeding nennie, shrimp:nono: removes the food from the nennie. Not a issue, just feed nennie again so not a big problem.:slayer:

19. jean19

jean19

i kept bta with 2 thor amboinensis for 2 years , no problems , it was nice to watch .

20. Falcon

Falcon

unfortunately those shrimp are not very common in our LFS here in SA,well atleast not at the ones ive been to...

21. jean19

jean19

that's a pity b because they are interesting to watch , i'm thinking in putting 5/6 in my tank .

Recent Posts