Anemone's and Powerheads

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Jaco Schoeman, 18 May 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Anemone, please tell us what you do wrt water flow. We all know that anemone's can move if they are not happy in one place, and more than often this is into a powerhead...

The best option would propably be to have a closed loop system in the tank, as there are no powerheads then, but what type of flow do they require? Medium / strong? And should they have turbulant flow / to and fro flow?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

This is something I would also like to know about, with looking into getting an anemone in the next few months. Also how does one nennie proof a power head if u are not using a CLS? and are Seio prop pumps nennie safe?

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

I am sure Anemone will give us a explanation. But just my personal experience, I have had 2 Nemmies for around 18 months now, in a tank with 6 powerheads and a polario.

I have never worried as the movement I seen has been a couple of inches from their intro position. ALthough I worried BIG time when first introducing the creatures.

My Crispa has lodged his foot, right through the middle of a piece of LR, apparently this makes them "feel" secure.

My other unknown species (Green Boy :D) has found a corner of LR, so one side of him is totally protected.

Both of them have approx. 1300mm (33") of water column between them so no prob. with chemical warfare.

Interestingly enough, I have a tube anemone right near my Crispa, and this has not made him want to walk.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

also nemmies also move if they are not feed enuff, light and/or meats, so if you keep them well fed they wont move. one can wrap plastic mesh around the powerhead intake to help make it nemmie proof

6. crispin

crispin

but in turn that greatly reduces the efficiency of the power head and I'm afraid reports Ive read say that you cant actually nennie proof a power head, that if a nennie touches the power head he will get sucked in as its a very soft creachure without a skeleton and thus goes through very small holes. Once that happens the nennie gets chopped and that increases the bio load massivley leading to "nennie soup" and a tank crash.

and warr I agree nennies will stay still when happy, but its the smallest of things that can lead them to move....a change in temp due to power failure, new intencity of lighting due to replaced bulbs etc etc etc.....the list is long....and if they do move, the chances of hitting a power head are high :(

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry mate, I have to disagree. You know I ain't the most accurate reefer :( I have had some really horrible crashes, and these creatures have firstly survived and once again not moved an inch.

I still reckon one of the BIGGEST factor most newbie don't consider is LIGHT.

These creatures move around cause they trying to find some sunlight under that 24 watt T8 shimmer in the distance :whistling:. Their symbiotic algae will not reward (feed) them if it doesn't get light and lots of it.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks, i missed/forgot that part, so would a CLS be the only way? i would have to change my setup then, i suppose rather now than later

9. crispin

crispin

ill agree (in blue) on some of your points but not all :) and as you know im in the same boat as the sections in blue :p

my point is really the percentage risk. Same as my feelings on a seacuccumber....Jacques had one to keep his sand clean for ages and no worries, till it tried to clean his power head.

and the stability of ones water really is a fickle thing. We try our upmost to keep it stable, but with such small water vollumes (all tanks are small water vollumes when you look at stability) its very hard to keep things constant. Yes there are times when the parameters fluctuate and then right themselves, and a nennie doesnt move, but there are many times that these fluctuations cause a nennie to walk.

its when they move that a powerhead is an unnecessary risk in my view. a closed loop is the only chance of stopping it getting souped.

i think nennies should be in tanks that are made for their upkeep.....that includes a closed loop. You know how i stressed at any movement of my nennie for exactly that reason. i personally would put in a closed loop (and the other requirements like lighting etc etc) before i put in a nennie again :)

its simply the risk that i dont think outweighs the rewards

10. Tony

Tony

I had a RBTA that was nailed by a powerhead. It sulked for two weeks then showed its face again. After a month or so it was like nothing happened. I think if you give them what they want then the wont go wandering

11. Anemone

Anemone

Here are examples of some ways to cover power heads.

Caring for these beautiful creatures | In living color with more pictures then you will find anywhere

Keep in mind, the first picture of the power head with sponge covering, I’ve seen anemones get sucked up to it and lose some of their tentacles.

The plastic needle point material that Karen uses in her website is an excellent idea, but in my opinion it needs to be kept farther away from the intake. For example, the Seio power head, it is not going to protect an anemone.

I recommend keeping the plastic mesh about an inch or two (or more) away from the intake (depending on how powerful the pump is). The farther away the plastic mesh is away from the intake, the less force that will be drawn in.

Jaco, there is still a pump connected to that closed loop. You will still need some protection that the anemone is not going to get sucked in.

12. Anemone

Anemone

As far as the anemone roaming the tank, there are many variables here. If the anemone is perfectly healthy, has been in the tank a while and something goes wrong, the chances of the anemone moving are slimmer than if the tank is new and/or the anemone is unhealthy. It also depends on the severity of the change.

13. Anemone

Anemone

Typically a medium flow. Anemones have been kept with an irregular flow and/or a to from flow that is used in the surge device.

Recent Posts