Anemone or Frogspawn??

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 22 Oct 2008.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I have wanted an anemone since before i even started up my marine tank, it was basically the reason i wanted to get into marines (have an anemone and clowns). However I am quite keen on going the corals route.

After reading up a lot i have found out that anemones and corals in a small 10 gallon tank may not be the best of ideas. Is this true, or is there a way to get around this? Also i read one of your threads that clowns will form a relationship with frog spawns, is this true? As my GF really wants one bad for our tank and that may be a solution to my problem.

I guess the other question would be, which is easier to look after being a newbie to marines??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Anemone's are a whole different ball game all on their own, yes you can keep them successfully but they are a lot more demanding than a frogspawn coral.

Let's start with a frogspawn, fairly easy to keep coral, looks beautiful, has certain requirements with regards to gentle flow and sufficient lighting, needs calcium and alkalinity levels to be in check (which is normal for any tank with corals along with some other parameters). Clowns have been known to host in them but the frogspawn coral is made up of very delicate tissue and the clown may irritate the frogspawn to such an extent that the frogspawn will die.

Anemone's - require very intense light and a fairly mature tank (minimum 6 months). They are known to walk around the tank and get sucked into pumps and killed. Your tank is too small in my opinion, 10 gallons (35 litres), to keep an anemone, although you may get away with a small Bubble Tip anemone, but I wouldn't advise it in a tank as small as yours.

Being a beginner I would recommend you get yourself used to the hobby first, learn all the ins and outs before you move onto things like anemone's. If you can, get a bigger tank, even a standard 3 ft tank will be much better.

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Ya, if i was going the anemone route i was thinking BTA.

Do u think it depends on the anemone with regard to how well it will do? My LFS owner showed me their tank in their tea room in back, its probably same size tank as mine, really delapidated and is making do with a DIY household flourescent light in the hood lol, admitted himself its really bad light for an anemone and that anemone is thriving, say that it has split 3 times already. Granted they know a lt more than i do about looking after them.

I just feel real bad for my clown, the damsel has taken over the live rock and he has had to make the little power head in my tank his home, which i thought was weird, but after reading up found out is not that uncommon.

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Anemones splitting isn't always a good sign, it normally means they are stressed, give yourself and the nem a chance, allow your tank to mature for a year before buying one of these extremely delicate creatures.

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

So do u suggest staying away from anything new for the time being? And let my tank mature a bit more, or are there some corals that would be ok now? I had a star polyp frag in there after 2 months, someone gave it to me, it grew nicely and was looking very healthy...alas i tried to attach the tiny stone it was on to my LR hoping once it grew more it would grow onto the LR, but my cleaner shrimp must have knocked it off there as it just disappeared over night a week back??

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Star Polyps are quite hardy. Some even regard them as a bit of a pest. You must have had a problem with the water parameters. Do you test them?

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

as long as you test your water as Thalion suggests and they come back good, then look at Mushrooms, zoalanthid button polyps, leathers and even some of the LPS like euphylia (hammer corals) are all very forgiving.

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I dont think they died from water conditions...they just disappeared, think the stone they were on was knocked off the rock. For all i know they may still be in the live rock somewhere in one of its crevices, even though i looked pretty thoroughly for them.

Recent Posts