Anemone moving

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by paul bloem, 26 Dec 2009.

1. paul bloem

paul bloem

Hey guys

my anemone started moving around yesterday. the thing is that it is lying upside down and I want to know if i must turn it around or not?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

This is not a good sign, but you really need to give us more information if you want us to help/advise - starting with:

How old is your tank
    What lighting do you have
    What other animals do you have in the tank
    Water test parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, pH, alkalinity...)
    Size of tank and water flow (how many pumps, makes, etc.)
    How long have you had the anemone in the tank
    Did you change anything in the tank which could have caused it to start moving

You can turn it around, and gently place it with it's foot against a rock, but do not wedge it between rocks. Make sure that all your pump inlets are properly covered, to prevent the anemone from being sucked into a pump - the same goes for the overflow, if you have a sump.

Don't do anything drastic until you've given us information to determine what is causing the anemone to be unhappy.

Hennie

4. Anemone

Anemone

In addition to what Hennie asked, what color is the anemone? What species? A picture would also be helpful.

5. paul bloem

paul bloem Thread Starter

hey guys

thanks for the comments, but got it yesterday and it is dead.
    I have a standard 4ft tank, water flow excluding return is 72000l/Hr.
    water parameters is all fine only nitrate at 10.
    I have 4 X 54w t5`s over the tank. I had my tank now for almost 2 years now and have 2 clowns, 3 green chromis, an eibli and the new one a yellow doctor.
    I got the purple tip anemone as a present on the 4th of December. it was white and the tentacles was short, so I knew it needed some attention. (had difficulty in eating)

My clowns is going to kill my gonipora, that is why I got the anemone.
    Now I just want to know which anemone is the best to get for beginners and what must all the Lightning, water flow and parameters be?
    I really do not want to kill more anemones.

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear about the anemone dying. You should try to educate whoever gave you the anemone that it's MUCH better if you buy your own live stock (then this would not have happened, as I'm sure that you would not have bought a bleached anemone...)

No, your goniopora is going to die from starvation, as they are non-photosynthetic, and need the correct size and quantity of live food on a continuous basis to survive. There are VERY FEW experienced aquarists who have kept these amazing corals alive for more than one year...

With all due respects - NONE!

Your clowns will live quite happily without a host anemone. On the other hand, host anemones live for literally hundreds of years in the wild, but most (like more than 90%...) die within the first year of purchase - most within the first few months. Their chances of survival increases with the age of the tank (and obviously with the experience of the aquarist...), and the general rule of thumb is therefore to only add an anemone (if you really must) after keeping hard corals successfully for more than a year.

Hennie

7. Anemone

Anemone

Sorry to hear about the anemone. White anemones (bleached) have expelled their zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae is required for their survival. The short tentacles on an anemone is a sign of starvation. When anemones get to this stage it usually ends in death. However, an experienced, dedicated, and more knowledgeable anemone keeper may have been able to recover this anemone.

When asked for water parameters, we need actual numbers here. What is fine for some livestock, is not necessarily fine for anemones. Also work on getting your nitrates to 0. You did not mention a skimmer or sump. If you do not have them, I suggest you do this before considering another anemone.

The E. quadricolor (BTA) is the best anemone for first time anemone keepers IMO. However, this is after much research has been done, and an adequate environment has been provided. As far as the lighting on your tank, I need to know more about it. I also need to know the other dimensions of your tank. Here in the US we have several different “standard” 4ft tanks ranging from 33 gallons to well over 100 gallons.

You also need to research all of your livestock and be sure that they are all reef safe.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sorry Paul.

anyway BTA, rose or green can go under T5's in tanks where they are not placed deep. I guess around 400mm the deepest.

Most others in the trade needs stronger lights.

Recent Posts