Anemone moving around

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Omnitank, 16 Jun 2013.

1. Omnitank

Omnitank

Hi guys, I bought an anemone a few months ago, and it has been moving around every few weeks. I believe its quite normal, but this time it moved in next to a rather large rock which is covered with star polyps.
    Please look at the pic and answer two questions that is bugging me for the last week or so:

1. Should I worry about the anemones' safety
    2. Will the nenny grab the cleaner shrimps as they climb in and over it all the time, especially during feeding time?

Thanks
    ;)

20130615_084847.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Unless it gets sucked into a wavemaker, it's safety shouldnt be a problem.
    I currently have 2 bubble tip anemones in my display nano... The large one hasnt moved an inch since i got it, & the other moves about once a week...
    It seems to like its current location though.
    Amenones will stray until it finds a place it likes. Just make sure it stays away from wavemakers & keep the waterperameters good (& feed it once a week) & itl be fine.
    As for the shrimps. Even my sexy shrimp occasionally climbs over the anemones & none of them ever gets caught...

Is that a long tentacle anemone?

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

IMO moving anemones indicate unhappy anemones. Your water might be of good quality but the animal is moving because it hasn't find an ideal location to insert or inbed it's foot. What type of flow do you have in your tank, is there enough light. Bubble tips love to have their foot under ac rock and then extend their tentacles up into the light. Long tentacle anemoneslike deep sand. If it moves again try and create a crevice into which it can insert is foot, remember this is the anemones most vulnerable part of its anatomy. In terms of a long tentacle, get some 30mm pvc piping and insert that under a rock. Place the anemone over the piping and gently coerce the foot into the pipe. Or, try and build a rock tube around the anemone.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2013
  5. Anemone

Anemone

All pumps need to be anemone proofed. A roaming anemone means it is looking for a better spot.

Yes, anemones can eat shrimp. It's not necessarily common, but I've personally seen it happen.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

What type of lighting do you have over your tank @Omnitank? What size is the tank? It might be that your nennie isnt getting enough light...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. chops

chops

hi there I have a green sand nennie 400mm in diameter I put in my tank 5 years ago has not moved since I put it in my tank my2 fire shrimp go near it but no over it just my 2c

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@chops, can you perhaps post a pic of the anemone... Is it a green carpet anemone?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts