Anemone lighting

Reaction score
HI everyone

My tank dimensions are 90x45x50cm,I want to know what the easiest anemone is to keep and the correct lighting for the anemone if I planning to use t5's 3ft long

Thanks
Chris:yeahdude:

Chris, how well is your closed loop system going?

or do you have a bank of anenome eating powerheads in there for internal flow?

have you read up much about the fellas? many experienced reefers stay away after one "souping"of a tank.....read lots before you get one ok:)

chris one of the biggest worries with having an anenome is that they will walk around the tank if not happy. Not being happy can be a number of factors, from a change in light, to flow issues, to water parameters to hunger etc.

if they walk often its into a power head. This maked soup of them.

that soup is such a massive bio load of toxins into your system that it wikll over load it and most likely (as in 90%) wipe the tank.

Yes people are stupid and keep annenomies in tanks with power heads, but it is a huge risk. How do i know???? I do it myself and i swear it gives me sleepless nights. If i could redesign my tank i def want a green bubble tip or rose bubble tip, but without the power heads.

please fella read through threads on here and other sites alot before getting one.

i know punk had a tank designed for a rose bubble tip and clowns.

i dont want to be a prophet of doom mate, indeed the best tank mate i have by far is my GBT, i sit and stare at it for hours on end, but please research lots before you get one. I wouldnt have mine if i had researched properly.

and when I break my tank down i will only send this fella to a guy in cpt whom i know has a tank that he wont get souped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice i will do some homework,maybe in the future then i'll get one

sorry chris i am not being that helpful here. let me take you through the basics as I understand them and hopefully some guru's here will chip in:)

but essencially most nennies have a symbiotic relationship to use light to produce food through photosynthesis. Thats possibly 80-90% of their diet. so they need light! and lots

they also have sticky tentacles used to capture prey and sting them. These are uased similarly to filter feeders and allow water to bring them prey....or unsuspecting fish to swim into them (clowns the exception). So they need flow.

As all living things in our tanks stable and FAVORABLE water conditions are key aspects. Stability generally only happens when the tank is older and when the marine keeper has a little experience. The two do go hand in hand.

If you get all that right, then you can plan a tank thats good for nennies....ie nennie safe and then they are brilliant tank mates and truley wonderful to have.

but you need to have the above in order, or be like me and loose nights sleeping stressing about them moving! :)

i would say thoyugh Chris that your tank dimensions sound good for having a nennie under t5's.

i take it that the 50cm is depth of water, and placed on some lr you should get good light penertration and have good enough lighting in there for a nennie. Its really the powerheads and the age of the tank ( i dont know how stable yours is) that would concern me personally.

Hi Chris - if Crispin won't mind - I will "chip in".

I have found a few things to be extremely important to my nemmie's health:
1) really decent water flow (from power-heads that are 'hidden' away enough, and also high enough up on the side of my tank, to ensure that the nemmie does not get "sucked in"). I have placed my ReSun Waver-15000 and my 2 SEIO's in such a way, that my nemmie get's water flow from at least 3 sides.... I also have a LifeTech power-head (at this stage) that supplies water supply from piping that runs behind my live-rock, which blows a stream of water from right behind my nemmie)...
2) VERY good lighting - I had my nemmie +-10cm below my 1 x 150 watt metal (DIY) halide.... I changed my lighting, to an AquaMedic lighting unit, where the lighting is now +-30cm above my tank.... I moved my nemmie (on it's rock) closer to the metal halide lighting (the unit is SLIGHTLY short for my tank - so the metal halides in the unit is now more concentrated in the centre 2 thirds of my tank...
It took my heteractis magnifica +-10 days to get used to the new lighting and settle in.....
Your light sounds like it MIGHT be ok, bearing in mind that you would require AT LEAST 6 to 8 T5's to produce enough light to assist in the process of photosynthesis in the nemmie's flesh (from the zooxanthellae that lives inside the nemmie)..... What wattage of T5's were you looking at?
3) you will DEFINITELY be required to target feed the nemmie once to twice a week.....
4) You NEED to have the highest quality water possible, for your nemmie. The water quality should be good enough to sustain reef corals..... What skimmer do you have or were you thinking of getting?

All this taken care of, then I would not see why you cannot keep one :)

Please check that you got all this sorted before you buy a nemmie, and also ensure that the nemmie you buy is really healthy, as a damaged/hurt, sick or too stressed out nemmie will MOST LIKELY die in your tank, a few hours later.

Thanks Jacquesb

My water quality is consistent(I think) I do a test every weekend.AT the moment I got 4 3ft 39W 12000K T5'S(WILL THAT BE ENOUGH)all white.Yes I do have a skimmer it is a via aqua multi skimmer(hang on back type).I am not planning to get a nemmie right away but I want to get my tank in order before I risk buying one,lets just say that is my long term goal.

Feel free to give away some of your knowledge regarding nemmies,and thx for the advice so far.

Back
Top Bottom