Anemone in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Hendre, 24 Jun 2013.

1. Hendre

Hendre

Evening you guys. I have been dumped into the deep end with an anomone. I have attached 2 photos. We got the nennie on Saturday, introduced it to the tank and it switched off the lights as 2 small clowns and a skunk clown were also introduced after feeding the rest. The newbies took well to the tank. The nennie stayed in one place, without moving Sunday and Monday. I have been taking pictures as we went along as I am unsure what and how to do it.Tonight at 18:00 it was fine, I tried to feed it a small portio of lance fish, smaller than 8 x 8 mm. It started to close up. We were all excited to see what happens. It opened after +- one minute. I could not see if the fish was in the mouth, but it was left to just wash away. As I was still watching, within 5 minutes from releasing the food, it lifted off where it sat for the 2 days, moved a bit with the current, toppled over and stayed that way as in picture 2.
    I had to leave after about 10 minutes, for a meeting at the office and is still there.
    What am I suppose to do?
    Teach me please!
    Hendre

20130624_1821021.jpg

20130624_1825211.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

These anemone dig them in you substrate and is more hardy type. What lights do you have.

4. Dorry

Dorry dorry

How long is your tank been running and when last did you test your water.

5. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Hendre, welcome, try to put the anemone where it will feel secure. Between live rock at the bottom. If you see the anemone getting worse, rather take it out your tank, if it die in your tank your nitrates will go up and you may loose more than you anemone.

6. Dorry

Dorry dorry

@ RiaanP can you help assist Hendre please.

7. Hendre

Hendre Thread Starter

The tank has been running for 13 months. Apart from some beginners losses, it has been successful.
    The water was tested Saturday 1 week ago. Apart from titrates a bit high, the rest tested correctly.
    There is a mixture of 8 T5 80watts lamps.
    Thanks for you quick response. Hendre

8. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Ok so your tank is mature your lights not a problem your water not a problem. They don't like strong water flow from my experience. Your clowns won't host in this specie of anemone. Just put it in a secure corner of you tank where less flow.

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi hendre, sorry to hear about the nennie. Thats a long tentacle anemone... They are often quite picky/touchy when introducingthem to a new tank.
    As @Dorry said. Gently pick the nennie up & try to place it in a "hole" in between some liverock or dig a small hole in the substrate & place it with its foot against the bottom glass asthe long tentacle anemones like doing that sometimes.
    If the nennie isnt looking better by tomorrow afternoon, please contact me (will pm you my number) & i will try to recover it in my frag tank (if thats fine with you). Ive had relatively good success at recovering anemonies that hasn't sustained too much damage.
    I also stay im pta east... Feel free to contact me if you need any advice, or want me to help ready your tank for an anemone etc... Im always willing to help a fellow reefer!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Anemones hate high nitrates! I found that out the hard way!
    For anemones, your nitrates shouldnt be above 3ppm as a rule of thumb!
    Also, if your nitrates are high, your phosphates will also likely be high!

11. Dorry

Dorry dorry

@ Tank you Visser for the quick response.:thumbup::peroni:

Visser likes this.
  12. Hendre

Hendre Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I have turned it right side up and put it among rocks. Will keep an eye and will contact you, Visser tomorrow if need be. Thanks again. Sleep well. Hendre

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the place where you got the anemone, how deep is that?

Let it be, do not bother or touch it. It would be sulking a bit while adjusting to its new home. The more you disturb it the longer it takes. I got a new bubble tip that is already parking underneath a rock in the shade for a month. Still looks good and eating.

14. Hendre

Hendre Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan. From I decided to leave it alone. The sand is 30 - 40mm deep and it has settled it's foot into the sand this morning. Unfortunately it is against a window which will make cleaning difficult, but it is not among/next to rocks, so it might still decide to move.

15. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Leave it there for now! After it has settled in & recovered fully, then you can perhaps try to move it. (not recommended though).
    If you move the nennie now, it will most definitely damage/injure it & will be nearly impossible to recover...

16. Dorry

Dorry dorry

I agree with Visser leave it there, he is happy if he don't like it he will move on its own. I wont even on i later state remove the nennie if its on the same spot. Then you start over because he probably not going to like your spot you choose for him.

17. Hendre

Hendre Thread Starter

Since I bought the tqnk I have been diligent to follow advice. I will leave it alone unless something out of the ordinary happens. Visser, I would like to make contct as you are in the vacinity and I need someone to guide me. Thanks Hendre

Last edited: 26 Jun 2013
  18. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Will give you a call tomorrow @Hendre.
    Please edit your post & remove your number otherwise you might just win the brittish lottery a couple times (darn scammers)

19. Hendre

Hendre Thread Starter

Morning Visser. This amemone is really in trouble. I will be available the whole day today, Friday 28 June until 16:30. Please come and take it and see what you can do with it. Hendre

20. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Will contact you again a bit later today to collect! Thanks for letting me know @Hendre! Hope he is still in a reversable condition!
    Can you perhaps send me a photo of his current condition to my phone?

21. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hope he makes it.

Recent Posts