Anemone ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Jacojs, 6 Sep 2016.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Hi.

Got this and was told it is a sand anemone, its probably bleached but seems healthy otherwise. It has a red foot.

20160906_153443.jpg

20160906_153451.jpg

20160906_192928.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Might be a Ritteri anemone

4. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Looks like they are hard to take care of?

5. Stefannieman

Stefannieman

It is not a 100% but about 90% sure assessment, but here is my advise:
    To my knowledge I would say it is a white bubble tip, the tentacles are a bit swollen, so is your green anemone in the picture (a green bubble tip I presume?)
    Ritteri anemones tend to have thinner tentacles and not the shape of the one in the pic.
    "Sand" anemones like the long tentacle have got a thick base on the tentacle witch then turn sharp towards the tip of the tentacle.
    sebae anemones typically has short "plump" tentacles and normally opens up to reveal the mouth and then gradually from the sides of the nennie to the center, the tentacles become
    shorter and more bead like.

I have a few anemones witch includes the ones mentioned above, sometimes these guys do get "mislabeled" due to the behavior of the nennie in different water/flow and light conditions (hence the 90% sure).

In your pic, the green one, did it ever produce bubble tips ?

Getting to your next question, caring for it.

If indeed my assumption is correct, bubble tips are easy to care for but to really get the bubble tip to open and reveal its true beauty, adequate lighting is a must. Strong lighting (LED/T5/MH)
    and moderate flow would be the best I'm sure. Also remember to feed them some seafood mix (mussels, brine shrimp, mysis, etc.)

Generally I keep nennies under the same strong light condition as SPS corals, the flow not too strong (if I want my rose bubble tip of about 17cm to split, I irritate it with a wave maker for a while) in the same sentence, a wave maker is never a good idea when keeping nennies, if they are sucked into the WM, its over most of the time. If they move around a lot they are not happy. Generally they find a good spot and stick to it like crazy.

I hope this helps.

viper357 likes this.
  6. Stefannieman

Stefannieman

if you want to part with it pls PM me. I adore nennies, have a setup just for them. The corals I keep separate.

7. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Hi Stefannieman. Thank you very much for the great response and explanation!!

The green one in the background is a bubble tip and it did have bubbles but dont have them anymore. I have led and a sepaerate 2 tube t5 setup.

The gbt has been there where I put it since I introduced it into the tank, no moving at all. I was lucky maybe.

I do worry about the wavemakers and the anemone and yesterday tried to make them safe but the flow was HEAVILY reduced so I have to find something else to make them safe and not impede flow too much either.

I hope the new one is also a bubble tip like you said. I will send you more photos of you dont mind for a better ID as it grows.

If I decide to part with it I will let you know. Where are you based?

Thanks again for the detailed response!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

8. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

9. Stefannieman

Stefannieman

interesting, viewed the thread you posted, the nennie's tentacles changed shape completely! it seems that the tentacles lost their rigid appearance typically found in beaded anemones (Heteractis aurora)
    I also have two of these that look nothing alike, interesting indeed.
    I would never have guessed that the nennie in both threads are the same, I do agree with the ID in the previous thread. although, I cannot explain why this nennie look different than in the other thread,
    fascinating, you learn something new every day, great hobby this is....

I mentioned, I have two, The one nennie, , I have in my anemone setup and the other one, a white one like yours with an orange foot is hiding underneath a piece of live rock in my coral tank, it moves out of the light, into a shaded spot and then bleaches over time, if I remove it, it climbs right back into the low light area, but now its buried so deep that I cant get it out. Strange creature, I refer to it as Edward (like in twilight), it does not like the sun, but where it is situated good flow and some food every now and then, my fire shrimp feeds there...

The other one was bleached when I got it, but now it is a tan color with purple tips. I will post some pics later on.

10. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Stefannieman, they arent the same nennies :) sorry for the confusion.

The one in the link was a hitchhiker. Still alive and eating but still whit too.

The original thread is one I purchased on the same day the thread was started.

Again sorry about the confusion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

11. Stefannieman

Stefannieman

phew, understood.

12. Frank

Frank

I would have said its a Condylactis. Doesn't look like a BT. Condylactis sadly not the best for aquariums.

13. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@Frank why do you say that its not the best for aquariums?

14. Frank

Frank

Condylactis, although beautiful in its own right, does not host clownfish at all and tend to move a lot.

15. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks @Frank.

I thought it was a care/survival rate issue.

16. Stefannieman

Stefannieman

Frank, I agree, after seeing more pics and seeing the little guy show his color, I have to admit, it does not look like a BT and I made the same ID to Jacojs on WhatsApp.
    Jacojs, The Condylactis is beautiful but as Frank said, a bit difficult to keep. It is a semi-aggressive anemone, will probably sting and may kill other.
    If you would like to keep it, maybe create a "floating" piece of liverock for it to move around on...and keep it away from other anemones and corals.
    go look at this :http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+619&pcatid=619 :)

17. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

18. Stefannieman

Stefannieman

I will gladly take it off your hand if you like, pending price....

Recent Posts