Anemone ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Sentari, 24 May 2010.

1. Sentari

Sentari

Hi All

So i decided to venture into the land of anemone's this weekend.

I bought myself an anemone from one of our sponsers. The anemone didnt like the trip home but has turned out to be a lovely anemone!!!

Its has a purple base with purple tentacles with green tips.

I was told it was a BTA but everything is pointing me to heteractis magnifica.

Sorry only the actinic lights were on this morning. I will try get a nice pic of it this afternoon. But i must say amazing! Its really huge so maybe when he's settled it might be a good idea to split him.

Anyways here's the pics.

Anemone with clows and 2 anemone crabs.
    [​IMG]

Top shot.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Good Luck

heteractis magnifica needs good light, so with T5's very high up, or else MH.

It will split when it wants to. I will leave it and give it time to adjust. It is big enough so that the clowns bothering it will not be an issue.

And that cleaner shrimp better not be stupid. It will easily become dinner.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ditto Riaan! Heteractis Magnifica. Indeed!

Awesome specimen, as far as I can see!

5. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Thanks guys

When i got this guy i was VERY worried it wouldnt make it. But listening and reading seems to have helped. The clownfish love fluffing it up and are always in and out of it. The clowns love Anemone's! and i decided its time to give them a nice home.

I will wait for the anemone to move and settle. At the moment he's hanging onto 3 rocks. I will try take a pic of him with the MH tonight.

I need to get myself new bulbs. So will be putting the MH on more often.

If it splits i will actually be very happy as this thing is taking up half my tank at this moment and wouldnt want him to wander into the pumps.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

He might wander for a bit until he finds a spot he likes, try to cover your pumps if you can, until he settles, looks like a nice specimen. :) One trick I learned in trying to prevent an anemone from walking is to put him on a rock that is on top of your rockwork, apparently they like to walk if they can feel rock next to them or above them, but if they can't feel any rock close to them then they don't like to walk downwards so will stay where they are. I tried it once and it seemed to work.

Those anemone crabs are fantastic little creatures.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Better be safe than sorry. Anemone will move around until it find a spot it likes.

What internal pumps do you have?
    Old style powerheads, with suction below,for temporary solutions, put 50mm pvc over it to the bottom with a lot of 10mm or smaller holes in it.

Stream pumps, Seio SunSun etc put eggcrate box around the pump.

Yes it will look ugly. But it is temporary until anemone is settled. And it is better to be safe than sorry.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ditto to what Viper said, Deon! They don't like moving onto sand either. BUT, also - if possible - try and keep the rock that the nemmie is on, away from the glass - as it will move onto the glass as well, if the rock is close to the glass/leaning against the glass.

9. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

I have 3 pumps

Resun 15000 l/h wavemaker
    1 x 3000l/h Boyu WM-1
    1 x 5000l/h Sun Sun pump with magnet holder

He is close to the glass. What i'm going to do is let him settle for a little. Then raise the rocks he is on and see if he moves more.

But i think he's happy where he is for now.

Thanks for the advise Gents!!! :)

10. Jaak

Jaak

Nice loking Heteractis Magnifica you bought there Sentari.:thumbup:

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

Sentari its a little bad that you bought a nennie without actually knowing what it is.. But still, i'm sure you can give it a good home :) Be careful with that magnifica, as guys have already mentioned with the pumps and the lights, they will chow your fish etc if they get hold of them. I know a couple of guys who've lost things when fish have got too close. And about the fraggind of magnificas, i asked Anemone that question a while back and she says(if i remember correctly) you dont cut magnificas, BTAs yes, but magnificas must split on their own. Magnificas get HUGE some times, up to a metre in diammeter i think? Jb? Can you confirm? So it might end up getting too big for your tank eventually, and if not then end up taking up a fair part of your tank.. Make sure you have lots of carbon running.... ;)

12. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

I kinda knew about the anemone before buying it. I knew that i had a system that was mature enough for a nennie as i currently have a RBTA which i was holding for my brother for 2 months.

I have been doing reading on it and was spot on with my flow and placement for now.

I know they split themselves and yes 100% correct they can get up to 1m in length. If this happens then... He will need a new home. Which i fully understand. I'm currently not running any carbon. I havent had a need for it. But since youve suggested it i think its something that i will need to be doing.

i have some frogspawns that are close to the nennie do you think these 2 will cause chemical warefare? If so will the nennie move away from it?

Thanks for the advise and good to see the nennie is looking great!!! :)

13. scubaninja

scubaninja

I dont think the nennie will be the one moving, i think its protocol goes nuke now, move later if fired apon? :p the froggies are the ones who are going to get the knock.. But he may start doing the whole moving thing cause of it, but just wait and see. If he nukes the froggies then move the froggies

Recent Posts